January Commenter of the Month Competition Winner!

Outsmart Malicious Hackers

Competition time again!

As you know we started the Darknet Commenter of the Month Competition on June 1st and it ran for the whole of June and July. We have just finished the eigth month of the competition in January and are now in the ninth, starting a few days ago on February 1st – Sponsored by GFI.

We are offering some pretty cool prizes like iPods and PSPs, along with cool GFI merchandise like shirts, keyrings and mugs.

And now the winner will also get a copy of the Ethical Hacker Kit.

GFI Goodies

Keep up the great comments and high quality interaction, we really enjoy reading your discussions and feedback.

Just to remind you of the added perks, by being one of the top 5 commenter’s you also have your name and chosen link displayed on the sidebar of every page of Darknet, with a high PR5 (close to 6) on most pages (4000+ spidered by Google).

So announcing the winner for January…it’s goodpeople! goodpeople was quickly overtaken last month! So luckily he got his just deserts :)

Pantagruel is it your turn yet?

Commenter January

January has been an extremely active month for comments with some interesting discussions happening, I’d like to thank you all for your participation! I hope it keeps getting better as 2008 develops with more interesting news and tools.

Thanks to everyone else who commented and thanks for your links and mentions around the blogosphere!

Feel free to share Darknet with everyone you know :)

Keep commenting guys, and stand to win a prize for the month of February

We are still waiting for pictures from backbone, Sandeep and TRDQ, dirty and dre and Sir Henry of themselves with their prizes!

Winner for June 2007 was Daniel with 35 comments.
Winner for July 2007 was backbone with 46 comments.
Winner for August 2007 was TheRealDonQuixote with 53 comments.
Winner for September 2007 was Sandeep Nain with 32 comments.
Winner for October 2007 was dre with 19 comments.
Winner for November 2007 was dirty with 38 comments.
Winner for December 2007 was Sir Henry with 84 comments.

Posted in: Site News

, , , , , , , ,

Spaghetti Download - Web Application Security Scanner Spaghetti Download – Web Application Security Scanner
Spaghetti is an Open-source Web Application Security Scanner, it is designed to find various default and insecure files, configurations etc.
Taringa Hack - 27 Million User Records Leaked Taringa Hack – 27 Million User Records Leaked
The Taringa hack is actually one of the biggest leaks of the year with 27 million weakly hashed passwords breached, but it's not often covered in the West.
A2SV - Auto Scanning SSL Vulnerability Tool For Poodle & Heartbleed A2SV – Auto Scanning SSL Vulnerability Tool For Poodle & Heartbleed
A2SV is a Python-based SSL Vulnerability focused tool that allows for auto-scanning and detection of the common and well-known SSL Vulnerabilities.
VHostScan - Virtual Host Scanner With Alias & Catch-All Detection VHostScan – Virtual Host Scanner With Alias & Catch-All Detection
VHostScan is a Python-based virtual host scanner that can be used with pivot tools, detect catch-all scenarios, aliases and dynamic default pages.
Equifax Hack Blamed On Single Employee Equifax Hack Blamed On Single Employee
We wrote about the Equifax Hack, Data Breach and Leak last month, which happened due to a flaw in Apache Struts that for some reason hadn't been patched.
LOIC Hivemind - Low Orbit Ion Cannon LOIC Download – Low Orbit Ion Cannon DDoS Booter
LOIC Download below - Low Orbit Ion Cannon is an Open Source Stress Testing and Denial of Service (DoS or DDoS) attack application written in C#.

21 Responses to January Commenter of the Month Competition Winner!

1. Nobody_Holme February 5, 2008 at 1:20 pm #

Nice going goodpeople.
    Tempting to spam to win this next month. but no. Pantagruel, the race is on. >:)

2. Sarah February 5, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

Congrats goodpeople! Your gifts are on the way, you should be receiving them soon. Well done to all the others who came very close to winning as well. Keep the comments coming in during February, and who knows, you might be the next winners. Keep up the great commenting all =)

3. goodpeople February 5, 2008 at 9:10 pm #

It feels good to be recognized. Thank you all, for I couldn’t have done it alone. And with that being said, nobody_holme, pantagruel, mulble and others.. let’s keep those discussions going!

4. Pantagruel February 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm #

Congrats and well done, enjoy the reading material

5. Sir Henry February 5, 2008 at 11:05 pm #

@goodpeople:

Congrats! Sorry for not adding to the discussions as of late. My new job is under way and I am all over the place. Next week I will be in Ottawa in the event that any of you is located there.

6. Nobody_Holme February 6, 2008 at 4:13 pm #

Why do i feel that it’ll be panta this month?

Anyway, as long as people keep doing stupid insecure idiocies, or coming up with new useful tools, I’ll be here.

7. eM3rC February 7, 2008 at 5:56 am #

Congratulations goodpeople!!!

Finally, I’m back from vacation…

Hope I can win this pack sometime soon.

8. goodpeople February 11, 2008 at 5:24 pm #

Good Golly, the prizes have arrived!

The package contained a t-shirt, a mug, a pen, a pencil and two keycords. Unfortunately no ipod or psp but I guess that’s too much to ship overseas.

Thanks anyway and I will send a picture of me and my winnings shortly.

9. Darknet February 11, 2008 at 6:37 pm #

The prizes will arrive in two parts, the main prize should be shipped direct from a vendor in your part of the World, so it takes a little longer to find one and place the order.

10. Sir Henry February 11, 2008 at 6:44 pm #

@goodpeople:

Sounds like you and I received the same package, save for I only got one key cord. No psp/ipod, either, but did not envision that I would get one, anyway. Not sure why. Congrats, again.

How is the wrist?

11. goodpeople February 11, 2008 at 7:31 pm #

@Darknet & Sir Henry,

Frankly, I didn’t expect anything at all. Usually these things are for US citizens only…

12. Sir Henry February 11, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

@goodpeople:

Nor was there any expectation on my part. Hopefully it was not conveyed in my comment that I was expecting anything mentioned. Just more of a statement. In reality, receiving what I did was just a nice-to-have on top of the phenomenal discussions that we have had.

13. goodpeople February 11, 2008 at 7:39 pm #

@Sir Henry,

The wrist is getting better (although after seeing Hair, the musical last saturday I discovered that applauding is still somewhat painful.)

But now I also have tendon lighting (translated by Babelfish, I don’t know if this is the right word) in my right foot. I guess I’ll start to fall apart soon… :-)

14. Sir Henry February 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm #

@goodpeople:

I am glad the wrist is getting better. I think I may be falling apart, as well. I will be 31 on Friday and am beginning to think that there may be something to this degeneration concept.

15. Darknet February 11, 2008 at 9:28 pm #

Tendon lighting? LOL Tendonitis I guess? Anyway you guys should get the prizes, just when you’re outside US it tends to take a long time. Or not at all in some cases, a prize was sent to a Polish winner from the retailer but it never arrived. Anyway if not enjoy the GFI stuff :)

16. goodpeople February 11, 2008 at 9:28 pm #

Then just imagine.. I’ll be 44 next month!

btw, how’s the new job?

17. Sir Henry February 11, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

@Darknet:

The GFI pens are pretty awesome for being your run of the mill ball-point. Yes, I am excited about a pen. lol

@goodpeople:

The new job is pretty cool. I am currently sitting in a training in Ottawa where I am refreshing all of my PKI knowledge. It should not be hard to figure out the company, but let us not speak of the entity here. ;)

18. eM3rC February 12, 2008 at 2:19 am #

@goodpeople
    Sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope you get better soon!
    Also happy early birthday mate! Hope you’ll have many more!

@Sir Henry
    Congratulations on the new job! Hope you enjoy it :)

19. goodpeople February 13, 2008 at 11:59 am #

uhhm, guys.. I just received a Creative ZEN mediaplayer in the mail. Compliments of GFI software.

20. Sir Henry February 13, 2008 at 3:03 pm #