MoocherHunter™ is a mobile tracking software tool for the real-time on-the-fly geo-location of wireless moochers and hackers. It’s included as part of the OSWA Assistant LiveCD we mentioned quite recently.’
I wanted to mention this tool separately as I think it’s very cool!
MoocherHunter™ identifies the location of an 802.11-based wireless moocher or hacker by the traffic they send across the network. If they want to mooch from you or use your wireless network for illegal purposes (e.g. warez downloading or illegal filesharing), then they have no choice but to reveal themselves by sending traffic across in order to accomplish their objectives. MoocherHunter™ enables the owner of the wireless network to detect traffic from this unauthorized wireless client (using either MoocherHunter™’s Passive or Active mode) and enables the owner, armed with a laptop and directional antenna, to isolate and track down the source.
Because it is not based on fixed or statically-positioned hardware, MoocherHunter™ allows the user to move freely and walk towards the actual geographical location of the moocher/hacker. In residential and commercial multi-tenant building field trials held in Singapore in March 2008, MoocherHunter™ allowed a single trained operator to geo-locate a wireless moocher with a geographical positional accuracy of as little as 2 meters within an average of 30 minutes.
You can download OSWA Assistant here to get MoocherHunter:
Or read more here.
Recent in Countermeasures:
- AxCrypt – Open Source Windows File Encryption Software
- Smooth-Sec – IDS/IPS (Intrusion Detection/Prevention System) In A Box
- HoneyDrive Desktop v0.2 Released – Honeypot LiveCD
- WifiZoo v1.3 Released – Passive Info Gathering for Wifi
- WifiZoo v1.2 – Gather Wifi Information Passively
- Russia Heavy Handed Registration for Wifi
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 118,524 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 116,509 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,500 views