Some Guidelines on How to Secure your Ubuntu Installation

Since Ubuntu is getting so fantastically popular nowadays I thought this might be useful to some of you.

I personally think Ubuntu is great, the features, ease of installation, stability and especially the work they have done on things like wireless drivers make it a breeze to get up and running.

It is a pretty secure distro by default, but there are a few little things you can do to tighten it up.

If you don’t know what Ubuntu is you can check it out here:

Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need – a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

If you wan’t to get into Linux I suggest you try this and Mandriva first.

Anyway recently I found a good security guide for Ubuntu, so run through the steps and lock your OS down.

If you’ve recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, you’ve probably experienced a decrease in spyware — and malware in general — on your system. But although Ubuntu is billed as the ultra-secure solution, you should know that even though Ubuntu’s default install has its flaws, like every other operating system.

The Big Ol’ Ubuntu Security Resource

Posted in: Linux Hacking

, , , ,

tko-subs - Detect & Takeover Subdomains With Dead DNS Records tko-subs – Detect & Takeover Subdomains With Dead DNS Records
tko-subs is a tool that helps you to detect & takeover subdomains with dead DNS records, this could be dangling CNAMEs point to hosting services and more.
Arcane - Tool To Backdoor iOS Packages (iPhone ARM) Arcane – Tool To Backdoor iOS Packages (iPhone ARM)
Arcane is a simple script tool to backdoor iOS packages (iPhone ARM) and create the necessary resources for APT repositories.
SharpHose - Asynchronous Password Spraying Tool SharpHose – Asynchronous Password Spraying Tool
SharpHose is an asynchronous password spraying tool in C# for Windows environments that takes into consideration fine-grained password policies and can be run over Cobalt Strike's execute-assembly.
Axiom - Pen-Testing Server For Collecting Bug Bounties Axiom – Pen-Testing Server For Collecting Bug Bounties
Project Axiom is a set of utilities for managing a small dynamic infrastructure setup for bug bounty, basically a pen-testing server out of the box with 1-line.
Quasar RAT - Windows Remote Administration Tool Quasar RAT – Windows Remote Administration Tool
Quasar is a fast and light-weight Windows remote administration tool coded in C#. Used for user support through day-to-day administrative work to monitoring.
Pingcastle - Active Directory Security Assessment Tool Pingcastle – Active Directory Security Assessment Tool
PingCastle is a Active Directory Security Assessment Tool designed to quickly assess the Active Directory security level based on a risk and maturity framework.

9 Responses to Some Guidelines on How to Secure your Ubuntu Installation

1. Sandeep nain July 24, 2007 at 10:16 am #

well its been more than 7 months I have been using ubuntu and im sure it will make me forget how windows look like….

–A BIG FAN OF ubuntu

2. SN July 24, 2007 at 12:33 pm #

interesting

3. TheRealDonQuixote July 24, 2007 at 9:33 pm #

Thanks for the info on securing ubuntu, I’m sure this will help me on my quest to make a BackTrack on Kubuntu pentesting suite!!

I’m still working on putting all the pentesting tools from BackTrack2 on a Kubuntu distro, has to be Kubuntu cause BT is all KDE. The only tricky part is making Slax based apps work (correctly) in kubuntu linux 7.04 (feisty fawn). Oh that and I need a buttload of time.

One question, Will this help with the alleged mDNSresponder exploits?

Keep up the good work!!

4. Sandeep Nain July 25, 2007 at 2:10 am #

Hey TRDQ

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe mDNSResponder exploit is related to apple and not UBUNTU (Linux).

If i have misunderstood your question, Can you please rephrase your question?

5. TheRealDonQuixote July 25, 2007 at 9:50 pm #

Sandeep – I have been researching the alleged Rape.osx worm as well as the iPhone exploits from exploitingiphone.com.

I found that there are some linux apps that use mDNSResponder. We all know that Mac OS X is really a solid unix core, there are probably alot of open source projects, like rendevous (it uses mDNSresponder) that find their way to linux repos.

I was just wondering if anyone had found some similar vulnerable code in the basic Ubuntu or Kubuntu distros?

6. TheRealDonQuixote July 25, 2007 at 10:00 pm #

Oh, I forgot. If you could read this little article I wrote on the Rape.osx and the iPhone exploits and tell me what you think or if you know anything that I haven’t found. I am running into walls all over the place trying to find some solid information on the mDNSresponder variant, but I am sure that it all comes back to Safari and how the system as a whole handles connections to WiFi. But I got nothin.

Here’s the link: MAC OS X HACKING

The link is too long to cut and past so I sure hope the HTML sticks. Or you could just click on my name and go to my blog. Its the first story on there.
    thx

7. Sandeep Nain July 26, 2007 at 5:00 am #

Nice article TRDQ.. Good work
    thanks for sharing…

i’ll try to see if UBUNTU uses mDNSResponder in any ways and post it here…

8. TheRealDonQuixote July 26, 2007 at 5:50 am #