BackTrack is the result of the merging of the two innovative penetration testing live linux distributions Auditor security collection and Whax. By combining the best features from both distributions and putting continous development energy, the most complete and finest security testing live distro was born: BackTrack
BackTrack v.2.0 is finally released, it’s been a long wait that’s for sure, it does look good though so perhaps it was worth waiting.
You can find some screenshots here.
BackTrack ranked number one in Darknet’s well regarded list 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery).
It’s taken BackTrack almost 5 months to pull themselves out of the beta stage. Many features have been added and many of the persistent bugs have been fixed.
New exciting features in BackTrack 2, to mention a few:
- Updated Kernel-Running 2.6.20, with several patches.
- Broadcom based wireless card support
- Most wireless drivers are built to support raw packet injection
- Metasploit2 and Metasploit3 framework integration
- Alignment to open standards and frameworks like ISSAF and OSSTMM
- Redesigned menu structure to assist the novice as well as the pro
- Japanese input support-reading and writing in Hiragana / Katakana / Kanji.
As usual, Nessus is not included into BackTrack as Tenable forbid redistribution.
The public wiki project is available at http://backtrack.offensive-security.com. Please help us by providing entries in HCL (Hardware compatibility list).
Read more about BackTrack here.
You can download BackTrack here: