30 April 2008 | 11,282 views

CDPSnarf – CDP Packet Sniffer

Prevent Network Security Leaks with Acunetix

CDPSnarf if a network sniffer exclusively written to extract information from CDP packets. It provides all the information a “show cdp neighbors detail” command would return on a Cisco router and even more.

The application is written in C using the popular PCAP library.

Sample Output

Cisco AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 Access Point:

You can download CDPSnarf here:

CDPSnarf 0.1.6

Or read more here.

Recent in Hacking Tools:
- iSniff-GPS – Passive Wifi Sniffing Tool With Location Data
- masscan – The Fastest TCP Port Scanner
- drozer – The Leading Security Testing Framework For Android

- NetworkMiner v1.1 Released – Windows Packet Analyzer & Sniffer
- Sniffjoke 0.4.1 Released – Anti-sniffing Framework & Tool For Session Scrambling
- NetworkMiner – Passive Sniffer & Packet Analysis Tool for Windows

Most Read in Hacking Tools:
- Top 15 Security/Hacking Tools & Utilities - 1,870,562 views
- Brutus Password Cracker – Download brutus-aet2.zip AET2 - 1,061,427 views
- wwwhack 1.9 – Download wwwhack19.zip Web Hacking Tool - 625,270 views

Low-cost VPS Hosting

10 Responses to “CDPSnarf – CDP Packet Sniffer”

1. ZaD MoFo 30 April 2008 at 10:32 pm Permalink

I must admit: I’am kinda addicted to this site…

Thank you http://www.darknet.org.uk !
    You have a very informative website. I come to visit periodically and whenever I visit each time I learn new tricks & tools.

By the way: shutdown day this saturday…

My best regards.

ZaD MoFo

2. Giacomo 1 May 2008 at 12:12 am Permalink

I think ethereal/wireshark is enought to discover this infos, without any other extra tool, isn’t it ?

3. Bogwitch 1 May 2008 at 11:18 am Permalink

@Giacomo

Yes, Wireshark will discover this information but you cannot set a capture filter for JUST this information.
    It’s the same as the dsniff tools, it has a much smaller footprint and performs a single task. I use the mailsnarf and urlsnarf utilities from dsniff on a regular basis for constant monitoring when Wireshark would be overkill.

4. watcher 1 May 2008 at 3:33 pm Permalink

its nice to have something small like this, just think of how easy it is to see someone using wireshark or some other bandwidth hog, now try this one.

5. Reticent 2 May 2008 at 3:40 am Permalink

@Bogwitch: I think you’ll find typing ‘cdp’ in the filter will do exactly that.

6. Bogwitch 2 May 2008 at 8:47 am Permalink

@Reticent,
    I was talking specifically about capture filters rather than view filters. Sure, it can filter the view of cdp packets but the background capture is still capturing more packets than are specifically required. On a heavily loaded network, Wireshark can start running out of memory pretty fast if it is capturing large numbers of packets.
    Don’t get me wrong, wireshark is an exellent product and I use it often. If they could narrow the capture filters the same way that they narrow the view filters, I would probably use it even more!

7. yoshi 2 May 2008 at 9:02 pm Permalink

nothing new here – cdpr has been doing this for years

8. Reticent 4 May 2008 at 12:37 am Permalink

true. I usually capture stuff using tcpdump and write it to a file I open with wireshark; tcpdump gives you lots of nice options so you only end up with the traffic you wan’t to analyse (so it still suitable on busy networks). Alternatively, using the -A flag means you get to see the clear text protocols without using any sort of specialised tool anyway.

Sorta offtopic, does anyone know a urlsnarf type application which is able to reconstruct html pages. Ie I run the tool and it’s able to write html pages locally as it see’s them? Wouldn’t mind having a play with such a tool.

9. Umesh Chaurasia 29 July 2008 at 10:53 am Permalink

Hi,

I want to capture CDP packets from windows environment. I downloaded you CDPSnarf sample.
    I also downloded getopt.c and getopt.h file from some other website.
    I am able to comile CDPSnarf application by commenting 2 lines //#include
    //#include

In place of unistd.h, i am using getopt.h.

When I am running my binary I am getting “unable to open Adapter” error. Following is the error details.
    ———————————————————-

C:\Documents and Settings\umesh.c.PARSEC>D:\SW\CDPSnarf-v0.1.6\CDPSnarf-v0.1.6\R
    elease\cdpsnarf.exe -i CDP
    CDPSnarf v0.1.6 [$Rev: 797 $] initiated.
    Author: Zapotek
    Website: http://www.segfault.gr

Couldn’t open device CDP: Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20)

————————————————————–

Can you please suggest what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
    Umesh

10. dentonj 3 August 2008 at 3:56 pm Permalink

@yoshi

From the code, CDPSnarf supports more CDP value types than cdpr.