CDPSnarf – CDP Packet Sniffer

CDPSnarf if a network sniffer exclusively written to extract information from CDP packets. It provides all the information a “show cdp neighbors detail” command would return on a Cisco router and even more.

The application is written in C using the popular PCAP library.

Sample Output

Cisco AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 Access Point:

You can download CDPSnarf here:

CDPSnarf 0.1.6

Or read more here.

Posted in: Hacking Tools, Networking Hacking

, , ,

Sooty - SOC Analyst All-In-One CLI Tool Sooty – SOC Analyst All-In-One CLI Tool
Sooty is a tool developed with the task of aiding a SOC analyst to automate parts of their workflow and speed up their process.
UBoat - Proof Of Concept PoC HTTP Botnet Project UBoat – Proof Of Concept PoC HTTP Botnet Project
UBoat is a PoC HTTP Botnet designed to replicate a full weaponised commercial botnet like the famous large scale infectors Festi, Grum, Zeus and SpyEye.
LambdaGuard - AWS Lambda Serverless Security Scanner LambdaGuard – AWS Lambda Serverless Security Scanner
LambdaGuard is a tool which allows you to visualise and audit the security of your serverless assets, an open-source AWS Lambda Serverless Security Scanner.
exe2powershell - Convert EXE to BAT Files exe2powershell – Convert EXE to BAT Files
exe2powershell is used to convert EXE to BAT files, the previously well known tool for this was exe2bat, this is a version for modern Windows.
HiddenWall - Create Hidden Kernel Modules HiddenWall – Create Hidden Kernel Modules
HiddenWall is a Linux kernel module generator used to create hidden kernel modules to protect your server from attackers.
Anteater - CI/CD Security Gate Check Framework Anteater – CI/CD Security Gate Check Framework
Anteater is a CI/CD Security Gate Check Framework to prevent the unwanted merging of filenames, binaries, deprecated functions, staging variables and more.

10 Responses to CDPSnarf – CDP Packet Sniffer

1. ZaD MoFo April 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm #

I must admit: I’am kinda addicted to this site…

Thank you http://www.darknet.org.uk !
    You have a very informative website. I come to visit periodically and whenever I visit each time I learn new tricks & tools.

By the way: shutdown day this saturday…

My best regards.

ZaD MoFo

2. Giacomo May 1, 2008 at 12:12 am #

I think ethereal/wireshark is enought to discover this infos, without any other extra tool, isn’t it ?

3. Bogwitch May 1, 2008 at 11:18 am #

@Giacomo

Yes, Wireshark will discover this information but you cannot set a capture filter for JUST this information.
    It’s the same as the dsniff tools, it has a much smaller footprint and performs a single task. I use the mailsnarf and urlsnarf utilities from dsniff on a regular basis for constant monitoring when Wireshark would be overkill.

4. watcher May 1, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

its nice to have something small like this, just think of how easy it is to see someone using wireshark or some other bandwidth hog, now try this one.

5. Reticent May 2, 2008 at 3:40 am #

@Bogwitch: I think you’ll find typing ‘cdp’ in the filter will do exactly that.

6. Bogwitch May 2, 2008 at 8:47 am #

@Reticent,
    I was talking specifically about capture filters rather than view filters. Sure, it can filter the view of cdp packets but the background capture is still capturing more packets than are specifically required. On a heavily loaded network, Wireshark can start running out of memory pretty fast if it is capturing large numbers of packets.
    Don’t get me wrong, wireshark is an exellent product and I use it often. If they could narrow the capture filters the same way that they narrow the view filters, I would probably use it even more!

7. yoshi May 2, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

nothing new here – cdpr has been doing this for years

8. Reticent May 4, 2008 at 12:37 am #

true. I usually capture stuff using tcpdump and write it to a file I open with wireshark; tcpdump gives you lots of nice options so you only end up with the traffic you wan’t to analyse (so it still suitable on busy networks). Alternatively, using the -A flag means you get to see the clear text protocols without using any sort of specialised tool anyway.

Sorta offtopic, does anyone know a urlsnarf type application which is able to reconstruct html pages. Ie I run the tool and it’s able to write html pages locally as it see’s them? Wouldn’t mind having a play with such a tool.

9. Umesh Chaurasia July 29, 2008 at 10:53 am #

Hi,

I want to capture CDP packets from windows environment. I downloaded you CDPSnarf sample.
    I also downloded getopt.c and getopt.h file from some other website.
    I am able to comile CDPSnarf application by commenting 2 lines //#include
    //#include

In place of unistd.h, i am using getopt.h.

When I am running my binary I am getting “unable to open Adapter” error. Following is the error details.
    ———————————————————-

C:\Documents and Settings\umesh.c.PARSEC>D:\SW\CDPSnarf-v0.1.6\CDPSnarf-v0.1.6\R
    elease\cdpsnarf.exe -i CDP
    CDPSnarf v0.1.6 [$Rev: 797 $] initiated.
    Author: Zapotek
    Website: http://www.segfault.gr

Couldn’t open device CDP: Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20)

————————————————————–

Can you please suggest what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
    Umesh

10. dentonj August 3, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

@yoshi

From the code, CDPSnarf supports more CDP value types than cdpr.