Inspired by EtherPEG, Driftnet is a program which listens to network traffic and picks out images from TCP streams it observes. Fun to run on a host which sees lots of web traffic.
EtherPEG was a program that sniffed for JPEGs passing by on the AirPort networks at MacHack, and showed them on the huge screen to shame people into a) turning the 802.11 encryption on, or b) reducing amount of pr0n they download at weirdo Mac conventions.
Driftnet can do the same for your office, and make an attractive desktop accessory to boot. The program promiscuously sniffs and decodes any JPEG downloaded by anyone on your LAN, displaying it in an attractive, ever changing mosaic of fluffy kittens, oversized navigation buttons, and blurred images of Big Brother Elizabeth fiddling. It’s UNIX only. Your sysadmin is undoubtedly running it already.
Driftnet is in a rather early stage of development. Translation: you may not be able to make it compile, and, if you do, it probably won’t run quite right. To stand a chance of compiling it, you will need libpcap, GTK, libgif/libungif and libjpeg. If you want to play music, you need mpg123 or mpg321 or whatever. So far, driftnet has only been tested — I use the term in its loosest sense — on Linux and Solaris. If you want a Microsoft Windows version, well, go ahead and write one– the libraries you need support Microsoft Windows too.
You can also now use driftnet with Jamie Zawinski’s webcollage, so that it can run as a screen saver.
You can download Driftnet here:
Or read more here.
Recent in General Hacking:
- New eLearnSecurity Course – WAPT – Web Application Penetration Testing
- Hackers Break Into White House Military Network
- Nvidia Investigates Claims Of Online Store Compromise During Spate Of Hacking
- tcpxtract – Extract Files from Network Traffic AKA Carving
- BackTrack Live Hacking CD BETA 3 Released
- Slashdot Effect vs Digg Effect Traffic Report
Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,109,701 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 556,840 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 401,181 views