The US Congress recently approved a bill that will make it illegal to spoof Caller ID in the USA.
A while back the FCC announced the wanted to crack down on Caller ID spoofing as it was still too easy.
The amount of the forfeiture penalty (…) shall not exceed $10,000 for each violation, or 3 times that amount for each day of a continuing violation, except that the amount assessed for any continuing violation shall not exceed a total of $1,000,000 for any single act or failure to act.
The title of the act is “A bill to amend the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit manipulation of caller identification information”
It was introduced on February 28, 2007 and updated 27th June 2007.
You can find the full text here.
The short name “Truth in Caller ID Act of 2007″.
Source: Library of Congress
Recent in Hardware Hacking:
- Stealing ATM Pin Numbers Using Thermal Imaging Cameras
- Exploits For Popular SCADA Programs Made Public
- Intel Completes $7.68B McAfee Buyout In All-Cash Deal
- Caller ID Spoofing is Still Easy- FCC Investigates
- ‘Untraceable’ Phone Frauders Vishing for Credit Cards
- Zodiac – DNS Protocol Monitoring and Spoofing Tool
Most Read in Hardware Hacking:
- Elevator/Lift Hacking !!!!! - 73,268 views
- Military Communications Hacking – Script Kiddy Style - 48,993 views
- Hackers Crack London Tube Oyster Card - 37,245 views