As I’ve been Digged about 5 times now…and somehow got Slashdotted (whilst I was sleeping) until my server crashed and my host started crying..and my bandwidth went out.
I can give a reasonable comparison between Slashdot and Digg traffic.
From what I’ve seen Digg traffic is between 4,000 and 20,000 hits depending what time it hits the front page, what position it’s in and what the article is about, this on the first day, of course the traffic keeps coming after that, but not as much as in the first few hours.
I can’t totally accurately measure the Slashdot traffic either, as by 40,000 unique visitors my server died when I woke up I did a 302 redirect to the Coral Cache version to take the load off my server.
As for RSS subscribers, Digg brought around 200 (20 to 200), Slashdot brought around 400 (180 to 540).
So from what I’ve seen Slashdot still seems to be doubling or tripling the traffic generated by Digg.
Still an amazing acheivement for Digg, it being a new site in comparison to Slashdot.
Pretty interesting to see the traffic, getting Slashdotted is amazing.
- Merry Christmas 2012 From Darknet
- Server Migration – Moved To Linode! And Changed To Nginx/PHP-FPM/APC/W3TC
- Happy Chinese New Year 2011
- Firefox Confuses UK Government Piracy Laws
- New Zlob Trojan Alters Your Router Settings
- Happy 1 Year Anniversary to the Relaunch of Darknet
Most Read in Site News:
- Welcome to Darknet – The REBIRTH - 36,298 views
- Get the ball rollin’ - 18,971 views
- Slashdot Effect vs Digg Effect Traffic Report - 12,216 views