16 March 2006 | 75,443 views

Elevator/Lift Hacking !!!!!

Prevent Network Security Leaks with Acunetix

This is old news to those who already knows about it (Found out about it last year and tested it till now). But i just had to try it before actually posting it up.

Do you get tired of being in an elevator and someone else gets on every other floor in between the floors that you’re going to? Well you’re in luck, today i’m going to tell you how to skip all other floors and go straight to the floor you want to get off.

I’ve been trying this hack for sometime now (since last year) and i can say that it works 100% so far. I used it in my home country as well as when i’m away on holiday to see and try if it works. I just came back from singapore last week and i tried this hack on the elevators there and it worked. It was a 30th floor building and i didn’t stop anywhere in between from ground floor to the 15th floor and i did this for the whole duration i was there. A good way to test this is to make sure you’re in the elevator alone and use the hack to go to a certain floor and see if it skips when someone somewhere tries to stop the elevator on your way to your floor.

Before i reveal this hack to all you peeps, i just want to say that, we at darknet.org.uk will not be held responsible for the chaos that will arise from this post that will result in people waiting for elevators everywhere. p(x_x)q

“The designers of some elevators include a hidden feature that is very handy if you’re in a hurry or it’s a busy time in the building. While some elevators require a key, others can be put into “Express” mode by pressing the “door close” and “floor” buttons at the same time. This sweeps the car to the floor of your choice and avoids stops at any other floor. This seems to work on MOST elevators that i have tried. Most elevators have the option for this to work but on some of them the option is turned off by whoever runs them. This is a rather fun hack, so the next time you are on an elevator, give it a try, you have nothing to lose.”

elevator hacking

It works easiest on:

• Otis elevators
  • Dover elevators
  • Most Desert Elevators

Have a go at it and have fun !!! Let me know if you tried it on other brands of elevator that is not mentioned here. I’ll update the list.

Credit goes to thedamnblog for discovering and posting this great hack.

Digg This Post

Recent in General Hacking:
- Dradis v2.9 – Information Sharing For Security Assessments
- MagicTree v1.3 Available For Download – Pentesting Productivity
- Kvasir – Penetration Testing Data Management Tool

- Binging (BETA) – Footprinting & Discovery Tool (Google Hacking)
- SearchDiggity – GUI Front-End For GoogleDiggity & BingDiggity
- Hacker Files, Tools & Software Repository – leetupload.com

Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,133,573 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 576,932 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 411,779 views

Low-cost VPS Hosting

42 Responses to “Elevator/Lift Hacking !!!!!”

1. Darknet 16 March 2006 at 10:25 am Permalink

This is cool man, will have to try it out :D

2. evilfoo 16 March 2006 at 10:45 am Permalink

I tried it for quite sometime now and so far 100% it works. So need to know which brand of elevators doesn’t. :)

3. backbone 16 March 2006 at 12:20 pm Permalink

this is far off general hacking… awsome stuff…

4. Matt 16 March 2006 at 12:39 pm Permalink

How do you know it works? If the lift doesn’t have any windows how do you know there are people on the interim floors trying to call the lift?

5. Navaho Gunleg 16 March 2006 at 1:18 pm Permalink

Matt: Good point, you won’t notice if there aren’t any people on those floors.

The bigger the building, chances are there are, though.

6. Darknet 16 March 2006 at 2:27 pm Permalink

Matt: Yah I agree with Navaho, but it’s true if you try it often in a high building (more than 10 floors) at peak times, and the lift never stops, you can assume it works :) I’m gonna start trying it anyway!

7. BlackWinged 16 March 2006 at 2:50 pm Permalink

there IS a god and he finally responded to my prayers. I´ll never have to stop again because some noobs want to use MY (MY MY MY!!!) Elevator… harhar

8. Navaho Gunleg 16 March 2006 at 3:34 pm Permalink

I find it rather curious that this affects multiple vendors.

Does this mean that they all had the same idea, or do elevator-producers all use standard components? (I’m leaning towards the latter.)

Considering this information has been on the internet for a while now, I also wonder if this ‘feature’ will be disabled by default in future installations…

This ‘hack’ is more and more reason to ‘experiment’ with public machinery that has a keypad on it, like ATM or soda machines.

Too bad I no longer work in a large office building though or I would’ve had some fun with this already. This would be terrible fun if you have to go all the way to the top and all the others in the carriage don’t. ;)

9. Ben 16 March 2006 at 8:57 pm Permalink

In my old building pushing the open, close and Lobby button cleared all floors. I used it all the time when/if I pushed the wrong floor button in our parking garage. I believe the lift needed to be unlocked though.

10. arkantos 17 March 2006 at 4:46 am Permalink

This is cool hack man. Eager to try and find out.

11. evilfoo 17 March 2006 at 7:02 am Permalink

Matt: If you really want to know if it works, you can try and have someone somewhere in mid floor get in the elevator while you’re on your way up. :D

Some has even reported if you went to thedamnblog.com site in the comments, that some elevator stops and the outher elevator door opens but the elevator doors itself is shut and then it continues its way again to the floor you wanted to go. :D

12. Reno 17 March 2006 at 8:53 am Permalink

Works best in the early morning and late afternoons, though if people watch what you’re doing, that could be the end of that hack fun in the building.

13. Leon 17 March 2006 at 10:14 am Permalink

I think we can test this hack, here is the test case:
    1. If there are 10 levels, press 5th and 10th
    2. When the elevator stops at 5th, go out quickly and press down
    3. When it arrives at 10th, press use this hack with ground level
    4. Wait and see if you stop at 5th

14. Darknet 17 March 2006 at 10:29 am Permalink

Leon: That would only work if there was only one lift dude, which is pretty uncommon, most places have a pool, so your lift might not have stopped there anyway.

15. Willy 21 March 2006 at 9:39 pm Permalink

What if you enter the elevator whith people in it? Can I overrule their choosen floors, by use of the hack? That would be cool!

16. evilfoo 22 March 2006 at 3:29 am Permalink

Willy: I’ve tried this. If you happened to be in the elevator with some peeps you can’t overide their choosen floor. It only works for people tring to get on YOUR elevator on your way up/down to your choosen floor.

17. Navaho Gunleg 22 March 2006 at 8:05 am Permalink

I think it does, but you’ll have to try it out to be sure, of course. ;)

18. Navaho Gunleg 22 March 2006 at 3:57 pm Permalink

Hey that’s weird — I responded to this thread earlier today and received a notification 54 minutes that a new response was posted by email.

Then I browse over here to discover a new reply above my own response? WTF? Heh

19. Darknet 23 March 2006 at 9:14 am Permalink

That is weird….super mega time delay thingy? LOL

20. evilfoo 25 March 2006 at 6:57 am Permalink

Aha !! It must the the combination buttons that i used to by-pass Navaho Gunleg who’s trying to get on my elevator !! ROTFL…

WeEeee…

21. alky 5 April 2006 at 7:03 am Permalink

I tried in a OTIS lift, but didn’t work, I pressed “Express Mode” but it stopped 2 floors down :(

22. The Urban Kunoichi 8 May 2006 at 10:01 pm Permalink

I have posted a few different lift/elevator hacks on my website which you could try out. As I haven’t been able to test them all myself, I would love to know if anyone else has and whether or not they work.

23. anon 21 February 2007 at 1:17 am Permalink

…And by this, it’s rendered completely deadly feature; I mean, some stressed people might manage to fell down and break their necks in the elevator shaft…

Consider that before you do this.

24. Daniel 6 June 2007 at 5:22 am Permalink

hacking big things is more fun than hacking little things.
    hacking the golden gate bridge > hacking a cassette player

25. Sir Henry 16 December 2007 at 2:19 pm Permalink

I shall echo the sentiments above about whether this works and how to tell. Usually, when I am trying this, I do not have the time to plant someone on another floor to tell me if it worked. But, if it does work, I am 50/50 about whether there was simply no one else waiting to take the elevator, or it just worked. But, if I end up bypassing all floors and making it to my stop, then I am equally happy.

26. zupakomputer 15 February 2008 at 6:42 pm Permalink

I’ve an aversion to lifts unless they’re glass and I can see through them; still though I’ll need to give this a go at some suitable point.

The one I’d like is the code to test out ATMs to make sure they give out money.

27. eM3rC 16 February 2008 at 3:43 am Permalink

Glad it doesn’t speed up the elevator or anything like that :)

28. Pantagruel 16 February 2008 at 10:33 pm Permalink

@eM3rC

Too bad, the once at my work could do with a speed boost.
    I’ll try the ‘hack’ next monday

29. eM3rC 17 February 2008 at 10:33 pm Permalink

@Pantagruel
    That is awesome… Yet scary…
    I would not like the feeling of a plummeting elevator, although some might consider it a free roller coaster ride.