Sandboxie enables you to easily sandbox your browser and other programs, it runs your applications in an isolated abstraction area called a sandbox. Under the supervision of Sandboxie, an application operates normally and at full speed, but can’t effect permanent changes to your computer. Instead, the changes are effected only in the sandbox.
For those too lazy to set up a full on vm image for testing stuff, this is a pretty good alternative.
Benefits of the Isolated Sandbox
- Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
- Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don’t leak into Windows.
- Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can’t break out of the sandbox and can’t infect your real system.
- Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
Registration is optional but there is a nag screen after 30 days (typical shareware style).
You can download Sandboxie here:
Or read more here.
- WAF-FLE – Graphical ModSecurity Console Dashboard
- LOKI – Indicators Of Compromise Scanner
- Integrit – File Verification System
- VUPEN Whitehats Claim To Have Broken Chrome Sandbox
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 1.0
- At Last – Adobe Launches Sandboxed Flash Player For Firefox
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,820 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,568 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,653 views