21 April 2010 | 36,496 views

The Conscience of a Hacker AKA The Hacker’s Manifesto By The Mentor

Prevent Network Security Leaks with Acunetix

This is a seminal piece of writing from the underground, forgotten by many but adored by many more. It still resonates with me and has as much meaning as it did back in the day when I first read it in Phrack Issue 7.

The Hacker's Manifesto

If you don’t know anything about this text or have never even heard of it, read it and read it carefully. It dates back to 1986 and was penned by Loyd Blankenship AKA The Mentor shortly after his arrest by the FBI for computer related crimes (more at Wikipedia).

Enjoy The Hacker’s Manifesto.

I found the text when I was switching over the new server and thought it’d probably be better if I hosted it up here on the new site instead of in the nasty old HTML.

I guess many of you have read it before, and I hope you enjoy reading it again. My main aim though is to introduce it to newer people in the industry and hope they share it amongst their peers as it still embodies the hacker ethos.

Recent in Old Skool Philes:
- Hacking Windows NT Through IIS & FTP
- Writing Worms for Fun or Profit
- Web Based E-mail (Hotmail Yahoo Gmail) Hack/Hacking with JavaScript

- List of Famous Hackers in Computer History Both White Hat and Black Hat
- Malaysia Government Sites Under Attack From Anonymous
- 1 Million Accounts Leaked From Banks, Government Agencies & Consultancy Firms

Most Read in Old Skool Philes:
- Web Based E-mail (Hotmail Yahoo Gmail) Hack/Hacking with JavaScript - 307,723 views
- Remote Network Penetration via NetBios Hack/Hacking - 225,152 views
- How to get Ops and takeover a channel on IRC Hack Hacking - 172,304 views

Low-cost VPS Hosting

12 Responses to “The Conscience of a Hacker AKA The Hacker’s Manifesto By The Mentor”

1. GZero 21 April 2010 at 11:06 am Permalink

I read this when I was about 9. Really never looked back.

Thanks.

2. und3r 21 April 2010 at 1:06 pm Permalink

This testimony was rediscovered, The Mentor, got up for an ethics indescribable, The Mentor, forever in our memories!
    Embraces, MEL !

3. TheLightcosine 21 April 2010 at 1:28 pm Permalink

wow, now that brings back some memories!

4. Navin 21 April 2010 at 2:05 pm Permalink

On the same page as GZero….read it when I was very young!

This and Mitnick’s The Art Of Deception are arguably the most influential pieces of literature I’ve read! :)

• Rishabh Dangwal 22 April 2010 at 11:45 am Permalink

Ditto here..read it when I was 11..read one of books by the now script kiddie Ankit fadiya back then and was hooked to zines when grew a bit older.. The manifesto always motivatesd me to do a bit more..

5. CBRP1R8 22 April 2010 at 2:33 pm Permalink

Read it a few years after it came out, but I do remember the story as well, no truer words spoken. Was part of the Free Kevin Campaign…

:D

6. Calico Jack 24 April 2010 at 2:25 am Permalink

In a similar vein.

Articles of Internet Piracy.

Article 1:
    A Pirate has no dealings with criminals, be they suits or gangstas.
    Copying is not stealing for nothing is taken. We seek to own only that which has been made falsely scarce. A Pirate takes not the just profit from those that create content, instead we deny it to those middlemen that steal from all and contribute nothing. For we are not lost sales if we could never buy it anyway. We support not the broken business models of greedy industries.

Article 2:
    Any Pirate has equal title to those fresh warez, or strongly seeded torrents as may be found, and use of them at Pleasure. For preferance d/l only clean legal content, unless a Scarcity make it necessary to obtain them otherwise.

Article 3:
    Every Pirate must obey civil usage:
    For every torrent downloaded, seed at least 1:2 ratio.
    Unless your bandwidth be meager, then seed after you’ve d/l’ed by 1:1.
    A pirate is not a leech.

Article 4:
    Only d/l what content you can’t afford to see or hear otherwise.
    Support the artists as much as you can. If you cannot pay them, do not keep them a secret but spread the word and encourage others to buy their work. Reputation and word of mouth be free, and priceless.

Article 5:
    Any person who poisons a torrent, or finds and does not report a poisoned torrent, deserves to be shunned, banned or mocked without mercy, until their rep be deep sixed.

Article 6:
    Any Pirate, that betrays another pirate to the authorities or his ISP, shall suffer whatever punishment as /b/stards deem fit to dish out.

• under01 25 April 2010 at 12:16 am Permalink

I believe more of the old hackers we have first the Cyberpunk Code.

7. DL 25 April 2010 at 12:08 pm Permalink

thx for good memories!

8. V 27 April 2010 at 9:21 am Permalink

well that was interesting.

9. pieface 28 April 2010 at 4:44 am Permalink

This also features in the 2600 hackers odyssey year book,only read the article recently,intresting piece.

10. Pronoein 29 April 2010 at 3:54 pm Permalink

Where and how can I contact an authentic community of hackers with such an code?