It’s been almost 2 years since the last update on Nikto, which was version 2.
For those that don’t know, Nikto is an Open Source (GPL) web server scanner which performs comprehensive tests against web servers for multiple items, including over 3500 potentially dangerous files/CGIs, versions on over 900 servers, and version specific problems on over 250 servers. Scan items and plugins are frequently updated and can be automatically updated (if desired).
Nikto is not designed as an overly stealthy tool. It will test a web server in the shortest timespan possible, and it’s fairly obvious in log files. However, there is support for LibWhisker’s anti-IDS methods in case you want to give it a try (or test your IDS system).
This version has gone through significant rewrites under the hood to how Nikto works, to make it more expandable and usable.
- Rewrite to the plugin engine allowing more control of the plugin structure and making it easier to add plugins
- Rewrite to the reporting engine allowing reporting plugins to cover more and also ensuring that output is written if Nikto is quit before finishing
- Large overhaul of documentation to document built-in methods and variables
- Addition of caching to reduce amount of calls made to the web servers, as well as a facility to disable smart 404 guessing.
- Addition of simple guessing for whether a system is an embedded device and to report what it is
- Plugin to use OWASPs dictionary lists to attempt to brute force directories on the remote web server (as mutate 6)
- Plugin to attempt to brute force domains (as mutate 5)
- Allow username guessing (mutate 3 and 4) to use a dictionary file as well as brute forcing
- Support for NTLM authentication
- Lots of bug fixes and new security checks
You can download Nikon 2.1.0 here:
Plugins and DB can be found here.
Or read more here.
- BTCrawler – Bluetooth Diagnostic & Discovery Tool
- Parrot Security OS – Debian Based Security Oriented Operating System
- Patator – Multi-threaded Service & URL Brute Forcing Tool
- Nikto 2 Released – Web Server Scanning Tool
- Web-Sorrow v1.48 – Version Detection, CMS Identification, Enumeration & Server Scanning Tool
- GoLISMERO – Web Application Mapping Tool
Most Read in Hacking Tools:
- Top 15 Security/Hacking Tools & Utilities - 1,914,221 views
- Brutus Password Cracker – Download brutus-aet2.zip AET2 - 1,170,192 views
- wwwhack 1.9 – Download wwwhack19.zip Web Hacking Tool - 645,750 views