Originally released in 2006, dnsmap is mainly meant to be used by pentesters during the information gathering/enumeration phase of infrastructure security assessments. During the enumeration stage, the security consultant would typically discover the target company’s IP netblocks, domain names, phone numbers, etc. dnsmap was included in Backtrack 2 and 3, although the version included is the now dated version 0.1.
Subdomain brute-forcing is another technique that should be used in the enumeration stage, as it’s especially useful when other domain enumeration techniques such as zone transfers don’t work (public zone transfers rarely work nowadays).
Original Features of Version 0.1
- obtain all IP addresses (A records) associated to each successfully bruteforced subdomain, rather than just one IP address per subdomain
- abort the bruteforcing process in case the target domain uses wildcards
- ability to be able to run the tool without providing a wordlist by using a built-in list of keywords
- bruteforcing by using a user-supplied wordlist (as opposed to the built-in wordlist)
New Improvements in Version 0.22
- saving the results in human-readable and CSV format for easy processing
- fixed bug that disallowed reading wordlists with DOS CRLF format
- improved built-in subdomains wordlist
- new bash script (dnsmap-bulk.sh) included which allows running dnsmap against a list of domains from a user-supplied file.
- bypassing of signature-based dnsmap detection by generating a proper pseudo-random subdomain when checking for wildcards
You can download dnsmap 0.22 here:
dnsmap-0222tar.gz (Make sure you add another . before the tar)
Or read more here.
- Gitrob – Scan Github For Sensitive Files
- OpenVAS 7 Released – Open Source Vulnerability Scanner
- BlueScan – A Bluetooth Device Scanner
- Wfuzz v1.4 Released for Download – Bruteforcing & Fuzzing Web Applications
- Wfuzz – A Tool for Bruteforcing/Fuzzing Web Applications
- Crunch – Password Cracking Wordlist Generator
Most Read in Hacking Tools:
- Top 15 Security/Hacking Tools & Utilities - 1,886,013 views
- Brutus Password Cracker – Download brutus-aet2.zip AET2 - 1,089,630 views
- wwwhack 1.9 – Download wwwhack19.zip Web Hacking Tool - 632,680 views