Recently we mentioned MSAT – Microsoft Security Assessment Tool and I recalled another tool which came out originally years and years ago and I’ve personally found useful in a few situations.
It’s good when you’re working on a Domain/Group Policy and you want to lock down one machine nice and tight, it can give some pretty good pointers as to how you can secure it further.
What is MBSA?
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy-to-use tool that helps small and medium businesses determine their security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common security misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems. Built on the Windows Update Agent and Microsoft Update infrastructure, MBSA ensures consistency with other Microsoft management products including Microsoft Update (MU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Systems Management Server (SMS), System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007, and Small Business Server (SBS).
In order to provide support for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, 64-bit scan tool and vulnerability assessment check support, new Windows Embedded support, and compatibility with the latest versions of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.1 is now available.
New Features found in MBSA 2.1:
- Support for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- Updated graphical user interface
- Full support for 64-bit platforms and vulnerability assessment (VA) checks against 64-bit platforms and components
- Improved support for Windows XP Embedded platform
- Improved support for SQL Server 2005 vulnerability assessment (VA) checks
- Automatic Microsoft Update registration and agent update (if selected) using the graphical interface or from the command-line tool using the /ia feature
- New feature to output completed scan reports to a user-selected directory path or network share (command-line /rd feature) Windows Server Update Services 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility
You can download MBSA 2.1 here:
Or read more here.
- StegExpose – Steganalysis Tool For Detecting Steganography In Images
- Twitter Patents Technique To Detect Mobile Malware
- Passera – Generate A Unique Strong Password For Every Website
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 1.0
- Microsoft Attack Surface Analyzer – Test Software Vulnerabilities
- Microsoft Security Assessment Tool – Free for Windows
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,182 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,045 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,560 views