Another one that has been a long time coming, but finally here it is! Nikto 2.
Nikto is an Open Source (GPL) web server scanner which performs comprehensive tests against web servers for multiple items, including over 3500 potentially dangerous files/CGIs, versions on over 900 servers, and version specific problems on over 250 servers. Scan items and plugins are frequently updated and can be automatically updated (if desired).
Nikto is not designed as an overly stealthy tool. It will test a web server in the shortest timespan possible, and it’s fairly obvious in log files. However, there is support for LibWhisker’s anti-IDS methods in case you want to give it a try (or test your IDS system).
Not every check is a security problem, though most are. There are some items that are “info only” type checks that look for items that may not have a security flaw, but the webmaster or security engineer may not know are present on the server. These items are usually marked appropriately in the information printed. There are also some checks for unknown items which have been seen scanned for in log files.
Version 2 adds a ton of enhancements, including:
- Fingerprinting web servers via favicon.ico files
- 404 error checking for each file type
- Enhanced false positive reduction via multiple methods: headers, page content, and content hashing
- Scan tuning to include or exclude entire classes of vulnerability checks
- Uses LibWhisker 2, which has its own long list of enhancements
- A “single” scan mode that allows you to craft an HTTP request manually
- Basic template engine so that HTML reports can be easily customized
- An experimental knowledge base for scans, which will allow regenerated reports and retests (future)
- Optimizations, bug fixes and more…
You can download Nikto 2 here:
Or read more here.
- The Jeep HACK – What You Need To Know
- Dharma – Generation-based Context-free Grammar Fuzzing Tool
- Hacking Team Hacked – What You Need To Know
- Nikto 2.1.0 Released – Web Server Security Scanning Tool
- Web-Sorrow v1.48 – Version Detection, CMS Identification, Enumeration & Server Scanning Tool
- GoLISMERO – Web Application Mapping Tool
Most Read in Exploits/Vulnerabilities:
- Learn to use Metasploit – Tutorials, Docs & Videos - 231,364 views
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,639 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,265 views