It didn’t take them long! A while ago some smart chaps worked out the a way to extract the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc “volume keys” to decrypt AACS DRM on individual films (This was about 2 months ago).
Now they have cracked the scheme behind it, the so called “processing key” used to decrypt the DRM on all HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc films.
The copy protection technology used by Blu-ray discs has been cracked by the same hacker who broke the DRM technology of rival HD DVD discs last month. The coder known as muslix64 used much the same plain text attack in both cases. By reading a key held in memory by a player playing a HD DVD disc he was able to decrypt the movie been played and render it as an MPEG 2 file.
The latest Blu-ray hack was performed by muslix64 using a media file provided by Janvitos, through the video resource site Doom9, and applied to a Blu-ray copy of the movie Lord of War. In this case, muslix64 didn’t even need access to a Blu-ray player to nobble the DRM protection included on the title.
Nice eh, the guy doesn’t even HAVE a Blu-ray drive or player, yet he still managed to crack the screen by playing from a Blu-ray image file!
These DRM guys better buck up their ideas as they are getting owned all over the place, remember when the DVD encryption was cracked in a similar way, by Xing-Mpeg player keeping the key in plain text in memory.
Both HD DVD and Blu-ray use HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) for playback display authentication and similar implementations of AACS (Advanced Access Content System) for content encryption.
The hack sidesteps, rather than defeats, the AACS encryption used as part of the content protection technology used by both next-generation DVD formats. The approach relies on obtaining a particular movie’s unique “key” and can’t therefore be trivially replicated to rip content across all titles encoded via a particular format, as tools like DVD Decryptor make easy with standard DVD titles.
muslix64 has however posted a 18KB tool that allows other to try their hand at extracting the keys of other Blu-ray Disc movies
Source: The Register
- Kali Linux – The Most Advanced Penetration Testing Linux Distribution
- Microsoft Says You SHOULD Re-use Passwords Across Sites
- Dradis v2.9 – Information Sharing For Security Assessments
- Anthem Hacked – US Health Insurance Provider Leaks 70 Million Records
- LMCrack – Windows LanMan Hash Cracker Tool with Download
- WPA Wi-Fi Encryption Scheme Partially Cracked
Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,149,547 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 596,516 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 421,643 views