Can you believe this the provincial government in British Columbia has managed to auction off a set of data tapes containing people’s social insurance numbers, dates of birth and medical records among other information.
The provincial government has auctioned off computer tapes containing thousands of highly sensitive records, including information about people’s medical conditions, their social insurance numbers and their dates of birth.
Sold for $300 along with various other pieces of equipment, the 41 high-capacity data tapes were auctioned in mid-2005 at a site in Surrey that routinely sells government surplus items to the public.
Included among the files were records showing certain people’s medical status — including whether they have a mental illness, HIV or a substance-abuse problem — details of applications for social assistance, and whether or not people are fit to work.
Stupidity knows no bounds really. Do people not understand SENSITIVE, or CONFIDENTIAL or PRIVATE?
In an interview Friday afternoon, Labour Minister Mike de Jong, whose ministry oversees the auction process, said he has ordered an immediate investigation to determine how the breach took place.
“It is completely unacceptable for information like this to be unsecured in the way this clearly is,” he said.
“People deserve to know [this] type of information . . . is secure and kept private,” he added, offering an apology. “I can think of no excuse for information of this sort finding its way into the public domain.”
Well yes I totally agree. And well..this is not the first time is it? And I’m damn sure it wont be the last.
*Clearing out some old articles*
Recent in General News:
- Twitter Breach Leaks 250,000 User E-mails & Passwords
- More Cyberterrorism – Taiwan Political Party Accuses China of Hacking
- AnonPlus/Anon+ – The Anonymous Social Network
- AT&T Hack Exposes 19,000 Identities
- Apple, Facebook & Hundreds More Hacked By 0-Day Java Exploit
- 1 Million Accounts Leaked From Banks, Government Agencies & Consultancy Firms
Most Read in General News:
- Hacking Still Can’t Outdo Stupidity for Data Leaks - 125,015 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 84,984 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,444 views