This is a little scary, intensely personal ads which to be frank are getting a little invasive as it is..It’s like the part in minority report where the billboards scan your eyes and talk to you using your name and history of purchases.
It looks like it might be happening sooner than we think.
The first thing that came out of our mouths when we heard that Google is working on a system that listens to what’s on your TV playing in the background, and then serves you relevant adverts, was “that’s cool, but dangerous”.
The idea appeared in Technology Review citing Peter Norvig, director of research at Google, who says these ideas will show up eventually in real Google products – sooner rather than later.
The idea is to use the existing PC microphone to listen to whatever is heard in the background, be it music, your phone going off or the TV turned down. The PC then identifies it, using fingerprinting, and then shows you relevant content, whether that’s adverts or search results, or a chat room on the subject.
Being a hacker at heart..I don’t trust ANYONE or ANYTHING when they say it’s secure, it can’t be broken, it’ll be kept away from prying eyes, as well…we all know whatever can be made can be broken one way or another right?
Pretty soon the security industry is going to find a way to hijack the Google feed and use it for full on espionage.
Google says that its fingerprinting technology makes it impossible for the company (or anyone else) to eavesdrop on other sounds in the room, such as personal conversations, because the conversion to a fingerprint is made on the PC, and a fingerprint can’t be reversed, as it’s only an identity.
But we should think that “spyware” might take on an extra meaning if someone less scrupulous decided on a similar piece of software.
Anyone else thinking “Yah right?”.
Source: The Register
- Google’s Chrome Apps – Are They Worth The Risk?
- Twitter Breach Leaks 250,000 User E-mails & Passwords
- More Cyberterrorism – Taiwan Political Party Accuses China of Hacking
- UCSniff 3.0 Released – VoIP/IP Video Sniffing Tool
- Google Acquires Web Security Startup GreenBorder
- Google Desktop Privacy? OR Lack Of..
Most Read in General News:
- Hacking Still Can’t Outdo Stupidity for Data Leaks - 125,098 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,081 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,465 views