It’s sad when a country has to resort to this to control it’s people, freedom to watch p*rn for Cambodians!
Heeding a request from his wife, Prime Minister Hun Sen on Friday banned the latest generation of mobile phone services in Cambodia to curb the dissemination of p*rnography.
Bun Rany, along with the wives of several other senior government officials, recently urged Hun Sen to prohibit the use of third-generation, or 3G, phones in the impoverished country because they can be used to spread obscene images.
Such phones – which few can afford in Cambodia – are capable of displaying high-quality video and images over wireless broadband connections.
I really don’t see what the big issue with p*rnography is, don’t Cambodians have sex? I mean there is a VERY high rate of mental health issues there, after the khmer rouge regime…but still? Isn’t this a little harsh?
On Friday, Hun Sen said he agrees with his wife and that while Cambodia is still unable to cope with p*rnography on the Internet, “how can we go for video phones?
“Hold it. Do not yet start the mobile phone services through which the callers can see each others’ images,” he said in a speech during a visit to a Buddhist pagoda in the capital, Phnom Penh.
“Maybe we can wait for another 10 years or so until we have done enough to strengthen the morality of our society,” he said.
Alcatel, a French telecommunications firm, announced in February that it would provide 3G mobile services to CamGSM, a Cambodian mobile phone network.
Strengthen the morality? Hello?
It seems like he somewhat looks down upon his populous.
The 3G mobile phone “is way too advanced for us. Hearing each other’s voices and exchanging text messages should be enough. If we go further than this, it could be more difficult for us to control” p*rnography, he said.
It was unclear if legislation is necessary for the ban to take effect. Hun Sen’s orders are often carried out without challenge by Cambodia’s government and lawmakers.
Cambodia is predominantly Buddhist and socially conservative. People normally do not talk openly about sex.
Source: Associated Press
Recent in Legal Issues:
- Stuxnet 2 Under Development By Spy Agencies?
- Anonymous Targets Singapore For Proposed Internet Licensing Rules
- PRISM, Edward Snowden, Big Brother & More Stuff We Already Knew
- Gawker CTO Outlines Security Improvements Post Breach
- Apple Bans Security Researcher Charlie Miller For Exposing iOS Exploit
- AnonPlus/Anon+ – The Anonymous Social Network
Most Read in Legal Issues:
- Class President Hacks School Grades - 80,478 views
- Hospital Hacker GhostExodus Owns Himself – Arrested - 47,393 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,444 views