A little bit crazy eh?
Sex workers cry foul, say game “accrues points to players for the depiction of rape and murder of prostitutes.”
The Grand Theft Auto franchise is getting attacked from all angles. Joining the ranks of politicians, policemen, and attorneys in their crusade to see the game lifted from shelves are the nation’s sex workers. On its Web site, the Sex Workers Outreach Project USA is asking parents to assist them in calling for a ban of Take-Two Interactive’s controversial game.
Citing a 2001 document from the National Institute on Media and the Family’s David Walsh, SWOP is calling “on all parents and all gamers to boycott Grand Theft Auto.”
The organization quotes various points from Walsh’s paper, including, “Children are more likely to imitate a character with whom they identify with. In violent video games the player is often required to take the point of view of the shooter or perpetrator.”
Apparently, the sex workers of the Sex Workers Outreach Project aren’t too happy about their ingame counterparts being treated violently in the GTA games. They note that the games are a bad influence on children, and might encourage rape and violent behavior towards prostitutes in real life.
SWOP Statement on Grand Theft Auto
The game Grand Theft Auto demonstrates attitudes and behaviors that reflect broader social attitudes toward prostitutes, who are made vulnerable because of their criminal status. Our outrage and disgust at the depictions of prostitutes in games such as GTA renew our call for absolute de-criminalization and repeal of all laws that outlaw the exchange of sex for money in order to end the violence directed at people believed to be prostitutes.
It’s a bit ridiculous if you ask me, are Soldiers going to start suing me because I enjoy blowing them up in Castle Wolfenstein?
Or Special Forces operatives…they will start suing Tom Clancy, omg Rainbow 6, YOU TRAUMATISED ME!?!
- Google’s Chrome Apps – Are They Worth The Risk?
- Twitter Breach Leaks 250,000 User E-mails & Passwords
- More Cyberterrorism – Taiwan Political Party Accuses China of Hacking
- TJX Hacker Albert “Segvec” Gonzalez Indicted By Federal Grand Jury
- TJX Hacker Albert Gonzalez Claims Government Made Him Do It
- Hackers Targeting Xbox Live Players with DoS Attacks
Most Read in General News:
- Hacking Still Can’t Outdo Stupidity for Data Leaks - 125,098 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,082 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,465 views