BackBox Linux is a distribution based on Ubuntu and is essentially a penetration testing or ethical hacking LiveCD. It has been developed to perform penetration tests and security assessments. Designed to be fast, easy to use and provide a minimal yet complete desktop environment, thanks to its own software repositories, always being updated to the latest stable version of the most used and best known ethical hacking tools.
The most recent release is BackBox Linux 5, the latest stable build of the project’s Ubuntu-based distribution containing a collection of utilities designed to perform penetration testing and forensic analysis tasks.
The main aim of BackBox is providing an alternative, highly customizable and well-performing system. BackBox uses the light window manager Xfce.
It includes some of the most used security and analysis Linux tools, aiming for a wide spread of goals, ranging from web application analysis to network analysis, from stress tests to sniffing, also including vulnerability assessment, computer forensic analysis and exploitation.
Part of the power of this distribution comes from its Launchpad repository core, constantly updated to the latest stable version of the most known and used ethical hacking tools.
Features of BackBox Linux
- Preinstalled Linux Kernel 4.8
- Installer with LVM and Full Disk Encryption options
- Handy Thunar custom actions
- RAM wipe at shutdown/reboot
- System improvements
- Upstream components
- Bug corrections
- Performance boost
- Improved Anonymous mode
- Predisposition to ARM architecture (armhf Debian packages)
- Predisposition to BackBox Cloud platform
- New and updated hacking tools: beef-project, btscanner, dirs3arch, metasploit-framework, ophcrack, setoolkit, tor, weevely, wpscan, etc.
System Requirements for BackBox Linux 5
- 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- 1,024 MB of system memory (RAM)
- 10 GB of disk space for installation
- Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
- DVD-ROM drive or USB port (3 GB)
BackBox Linux Upgrade Instructions
To upgrade from a previous version (BackBox 4.x) follow these instructions:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-utopic linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic linux-signed-image-generic-lts-utopic
sudo apt-get purge ri1.9.1 ruby1.9.1 ruby1.9.3 bundler
sudo gem cleanup
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/gems/1.*
sudo apt-get install backbox-default-settings backbox-desktop backbox-tools --reinstall
sudo apt-get install beef-project metasploit-framework whatweb wpscan setoolkit --reinstall
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
You can download Backbox Linux 5 here:
Or read more here.