Pentoo is a Gentoo based penetrating testing linux LiveCD. It’s basically a Gentoo install with lots of customized tools, customized kernel, and much more. Here is a non-exhaustive list of the features currently included:
- Hardened Kernel with aufs patches
- Backported Wifi stack from latest stable kernel release
- Module loading support ala slax
- Changes saving on usb stick
- XFCE4 wm
- Cuda/OPENCL cracking support with development tools
- System updates if you got it finally installed
Put simply, Pentoo is Gentoo with the Pentoo overlay. This overlay is available in layman so all you have to do is layman -L and layman -a pentoo. We have a pentoo/pentoo meta ebuild and multiple pentoo profiles, which will install all the pentoo tools based on USE flags.
Pentoo has been around for a LONG time, it even got a brief mention in our epic 2006 article 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) with over a million views. But it was pretty new back then, 9 years later it’s still around (unlike most of the other LiveCD distros which have disappeared).
It’s also still active and has a 2015 just released! It’s great to see such a dedicated team working on something for so many years.
Notable Changes in 2015.0 RC3.7
- Changes saving (including unetbooting support)
- CUDA/OpenCL Enhanced cracking software
- Kernel 3.15.5 and all needed patches for injection
- XFCE 4.10
The full tool list is available here (it’s HUGE):
You can download Pentoo 2015.0 RC3.7 here:
Or read more here.