For those that may not know, Nmap (“Network Mapper”) is a free open source utility for network exploration or security auditing. It was designed to rapidly scan large networks, although it works fine against single hosts. Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics.
Nmap 5.20 offers more than 150 significant improvements, including:
- 30+ new Nmap Scripting Engine scripts
- Enhanced performance and reduced memory consumption
- Protocol-specific payloads for more effectie UDP scanning
- A completely rewritten traceroute engine
- Massive OS and version detection DB updates (10,000+ signatures)
You can download Nmap 5.21 here (more options):
Or read more here.