Server Crash

There was a massive failure on our web-host resulting in almost 100% data loss, our own back-up was from September 10th so we are trying to restore the site to full capacity as we speak.

It’s in a bit of a mess at the moment, but we’ll get it back up to speed at latest by Monday.

We have to manually reinstall everything including the theme and all the functionality from customisations and plugins, we will manually restore all the posts since Sept 10th if they really can’t be recovered from the crashed server.

But all comments from Sept 10th will be lost.

We are currently using a temporary hosting solution, does anyone have a good suggestion for a webhost that accepts Paypal, does PROPER back-ups which can’t be b0rked by a ‘cascade’ failure and has good uptime & network speed.

If you know of one either drop us a mail or comment below.

Thanks for bearing with us.

Posted in: Site News

SecLists - Usernames, passwords, URLs, sensitive data patterns, fuzzing payloads, web shells SecLists – Usernames, passwords, URLs, sensitive data patterns, fuzzing payloads, web shells
SecLists is the security tester's companion. It's a collection of multiple types of lists used during security assessments, collected in one place.
DeepSound - Audio Steganography Tool DeepSound – Audio Steganography Tool
DeepSound is an audio steganography tool and audio converter that hides secret data into audio files, the application also enables you to extract from files.
2019 High Severity Vulnerabilities What are the MOST Critical Web Vulnerabilities in 2019?
So what is wild on the web this year? Need to know about the most critical web vulnerabilities in 2019 to protect your organization?
GoBuster - Directory/File & DNS Busting Tool in Go GoBuster – Directory/File & DNS Busting Tool in Go
GoBuster is a tool used to brute-force URIs (directories and files) in web sites and DNS subdomains (inc. wildcards) - a directory/file & DNS busting tool.
BDFProxy - Patch Binaries via MITM - BackdoorFactory + mitmProxy BDFProxy – Patch Binaries via MiTM – BackdoorFactory + mitmproxy
BDFProxy allows you to patch binaries via MiTM with The Backdoor Factory combined with mitmproxy enabling on the fly patching of binary downloads
Domained - Multi Tool Subdomain Enumeration Domained – Multi Tool Subdomain Enumeration
Domained is a multi tool subdomain enumeration tool that uses several subdomain enumeration tools and wordlists to create a unique list of subdomains.

14 Responses to Server Crash

1. Bogwitch October 11, 2007 at 8:41 am #

Last backup September 10th? Shame on you!
    Glad to see you’re back, ggouck with the rebuild.

2. Nobody_Holme October 11, 2007 at 1:15 pm #

Dude, that sucks. They’d SO better being giving you yur money back for the time from the backup to the crash… useless fools.

3. Sandeep Nain October 11, 2007 at 11:58 pm #

@Darknet, First of all you must take some severe action against your hosting service provider who couldn’t recover any of your data.
    Why were they not taking backups. :( (cost cutting may be… )

And I don’t think I should be asking you any questions like .. WHY weren’t you taking regular backups of your stuff??

Anyways.. good work in getting everything back up and running… I’m sure this is a big lesson learnt.

4. Pedro Venda October 12, 2007 at 2:31 pm #

Hmm… being a security-minded blog, surely the guys behind it would not have a hard time imagining that an automatic backup strategy is a fundamental security measure. Disasters do happen. See?

Heck, assuming that you have shell access and that the bulk of the website’s content is stored in a database (on the same host), even a 10 line shell script with some rsync hackery running every day from some off-site host would do!

Sorry for the criticism, surely now is not the best time, but please accept it and learn the lesson.

Best of luck for the next times.
    Cheers, PJ.

5. TheRealDonQuixote October 12, 2007 at 4:10 pm #

Man that sucks. Best of luck with getting everything back to normalcy, or as close as it gets to normal.

If you’re feeling down, I recommend saying “POOP”, only in a high voice like a choo choo train was making the noise. Ha Ha, “POOP”, just thinking about it while I write makes me laugh, cause its a funny word.

If you need anything, you know how to contact me.

L8s

6. Jim K October 12, 2007 at 5:40 pm #

I’ve had really good luck with godaddy.com’s hosting packages. Before godaddy I was with a horrible company (guesshosting) that was hacked 3 times in 6 months taking down my site completely. On top of that there were two total servers losses in the 6 months prior to the 3 hacks. Godaddy support has been very responsive. Not sure about the paypal requirement though…

7. Rick October 12, 2007 at 6:19 pm #

I have been in webhosting for a while, did you ever think of co-locating your own server?

Anyway If you want good cheap hosting I can help you out.

8. Onn October 12, 2007 at 7:01 pm #

go for hostgator.com

9. backbone October 13, 2007 at 1:53 am #

nasty shit… don’t now how you gonna manage to recover the articles from 10th September… through google cache?

10. fazed October 13, 2007 at 5:47 pm #

Im setting up a web host at the moment.
    I will host you for free.. email me.

11. Andre Glegg October 14, 2007 at 8:07 pm #

try http://adj-hosting.co.uk

12. Matt October 14, 2007 at 11:24 pm #

Go with hostmysite.com. Awesome for shared/dedicated/colocated/vps hosting and has a full team for daily backups

13. Darknet October 16, 2007 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks all, will probably get a VPS been looking around cost is a bit higher but it looks like it’s worth it.

Thanks for the all the suggestions, I’ve checked them out.

The only one I disagree with is hostgator – I used them in the past for a large forum and they were crap, I even had a semi-dedicated box with them and it was unstable as hell, their network was down all the time too and their admins were incompetent.

Co-lo is a bit awkward for me as I’m not in the US, so putting it in a data-center here will be slow for everyone else.

Well I was taking fairly regular back-ups, I just hadn’t put a system in place….this blog has grown big over-time before I realized it. I’m just glad I backed up on Sept 10th! That really saved my ass.

Pedro no shell access, if not I would have automated the back-up long ago.

Anyway proper back-up will be in place when we move to the new server whichever way I have to do it :)

Thanks again for the support.

14. fazed October 30, 2007 at 5:46 pm #

ah how I love google cache..
    and welldone for getting the site
    back up so quickly..