Trinity Rescue Kit or Disk is a free live Linux distribution that aims specifically at recovery and repair operations on Windows machines but is equally usable for Linux recovery issues.
What is Trinity Rescue Kit / Disk / CD
It is possible to boot TRK in three different ways:
- As a bootable CD which you can burn yourself from a downloadable isofile
- From a USB stick/disk (optionally also a fixed disk), installable from Windows or from the bootable TRK cd
- From network over PXE, which requires some modifications on your local network.
TRK is a complete command line based distribution, apart from a few tools like qtparted, links, partition image and midnight commander
It’s recommended to keep a copy of TRK in your toolkit, we at Darknet do find it useful, especially for resetting passwords and fixing messed up file systems.
TRK Trinity Rescue Kit Features
- easily reset windows passwords
- 4 different virus scan products integrated in a single uniform command line with online update capability
- full ntfs write support thanks to ntfs-3g (all other drivers included as well)
- clone NTFS filesystems over the network
- wide range of hardware support (kernel 220.127.116.11 and recent kudzu hwdata)
- easy script to find all local filesystems
- self update capability to include and update all virusscanners
- full proxyserver support.
- run a samba fileserver (windows like filesharing)
- run a ssh server
- recovery and undeletion of files with utilities and procedures
- recovery of lost partitions
- evacuation of dying disks
- UTF-8 international character support
There are plenty of other Security & Hacking related Live CDs on Darknet too.
Trinity Rescue Kit Download
You can download the latest TRK 3.4 here:
Or read more here.