It’s been a long time since we’ve covered any kind of Jailbreak apps, although we did cover some stories where owners of jailbroken devices were getting pwned by Rickrolling followed up shortly after with a malicious version of the worm.
I thought I’d cover this anyway as the iPad seems to be ‘the next big thing’ and everyone is talking about (even if they hate it), so I thought it’d be a worthy story. Anyway the latest news is someone has released an untethered userland jailbreak for iPhones, iPods and iPads running the latest version.
The all-in-one untethered iDevice jailbreak for iPhone 3.1.3, iPad 3.2 and iPod touch 2G/3G is finally here. Available for both Windows and Mac OS X, Spirit is a userland jailbreak but it does not work out-of-the browser as previously thought. It is in fact a simple one click app, like Blackra1n which can jailbreak (not unlock) any Apple iDevice on iPhone 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.
It is also important to note here that Spirit wont unlock your phone. It is a jailbreaking tool only that will only work on devices which are activated via iTunes. So if you rely on an unlock, DO NOT upgrade to stock firmware or you’ll be stuck. Unlock for iPhone 3.1.3 on 05.12.01 baseband wont be out before the next iPhone hit the shelves. And that wont be before June/July of this year.
You can find the jailbreak software here:
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
Do note, this is just a jailbreak and NOT a carrier unlock, so don’t b0rk your phone if you have a network locked model.
Source: Redmond Pie
- Massive Celeb Leak Brings iCloud Security Into Question
- Apple Retires Support Leaving 20% Of Macs Vulnerable
- Andrew Auernheimer AKA Weev Gets 41 Months Jail Time For GET Requests
- Malicious PDF Files To Exploit iPhone & iPad Zero Day In The Wild
- Apple Adds greenpois0n Jailbreak Detection to iBooks Software
- French Company Intego Release First iPhone Malware Scanner
Most Read in Apple:
- KisMAC – Free WiFi Stumbler/Scanner for Mac OS X - 81,791 views
- Apple Struggling With Security & Malware - 24,088 views
- Java Based Cross Platform Malware Trojan (Mac/Linux/Windows) - 15,418 views