We’ve only mentioned one HIDS before, that was OSSEC HIDS, so I thought I’d do some updates on the others.
Samhain has always been one of my favourites, before that of course I was using Tripwire like everyone else.
The Samhain open source host-based intrusion detection system (HIDS) provides file integrity checking and logfile monitoring/analysis, as well as rootkit detection, port monitoring, detection of rogue SUID executables, and hidden processes.
It has been designed to monitor multiple hosts with potentially different operating systems, providing centralized logging and maintenance, although it can also be used as standalone application on a single host.
Samhain is a multiplatform application for POSIX systems (Unix, Linux, Cygwin/Windows).
- PCI DSS Compliance
- File integrity checks
- Host integrity monitoring
- Logfile monitoring/analysis
- Log facilities
- Integration with other systems / Active response
You can download Samhain here:
Or read more here.
- Facebook Launches ThreatExchange – Security Clearinghouse API
- Acunetix OVS Review (Online Vulnerability Scanner)
- isowall – Completely Isolate A Device From The Local Network
- OSSEC HIDS – Open Source Host-based Intrusion System
- Suricata – Open Source Next Generation Intrusion Detection and Prevention Engine
- Graphical Web Interface for OSSEC WUI AnaLogi v1.1
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,409 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,195 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,589 views