Lynis is an auditing tool for Unix (specialists). It scans the system and available software, to detect security issues. Beside security related information it will also scan for general system information, installed packages and configuration mistakes.
This software aims in assisting automated auditing, software patch management, vulnerability and malware scanning of Unix based systems. It can be run without prior installation, so inclusion on read only storage is no problem (USB stick, cd/dvd).
Lynis assists auditors in performing Basel II, GLBA, HIPAA, PCI DSS and SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) compliance audits.
A lot of new checks and controls have been added in this latest release (Full Changelog). Do note Lynix is not a hardening tool, it won’t make any changes – only suggestions.
Security specialists, penetration testers, system auditors, system/network managers.
Examples of audit tests:
- Available authentication methods
- Expired SSL certificates
- Outdated software
- User accounts without password
- Incorrect file permissions
- Firewall auditing
You can download Lynix 1.2.6 here:
Or read more here.
- EvilAP Defender – Detect Evil Twin Attacks
- Google Chrome 42 Stomps A LOT Of Bugs & Disables Java By Default
- VScan – Open Source Vulnerability Management System
- Lynis v1.6.0 Released For Download – Linux Security Auditing Tool
- Lynis – Security & System Auditing Tool for UNIX/Linux
- Babel Enterprise – Cross Platform System Auditing Tool
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,460 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,235 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,593 views