This tool has been around for a LONG time in some form or another, some of you old-skool guys may remember a package called SATAN, this was the best semi-automatic security analysis tool around back then. From SATAN and it’s development came SARA, which is now in it’s 3rd generation.
Advanced Research’s philosophy relies heavily on software re-use. Rather than inventing a new module, SARA is adapted to interface to other community products. For instance, SARA interfaces with the popular Nmap package for superior “Operating System fingerprinting”. Also, SARA provides a transparent interface to SAMBA for SMB security analysis.
A recent addition to SARA is the ability to operate on a Windows 200* and Windows XP platforms. SARA relies on Cooperative Linux to provide the proper operating environment to operate as Windows process. This product is called coSARA.
The Security Auditor’s Research Assistant (SARA) is a third generation network security analysis tool that is:
- Operates under Unix, Linux, MAC OS/X or Windows (through coLinux) OS’.
- Integrates the National Vulnerability Database (NVD).
- Performs SQL injection tests.
- Performs exhaustive XSS tests
- Can adapt to many firewalled environments.
- Support remote self scan and API facilities.
- Used for CIS benchmark initiatives
- Plug-in facility for third party apps
- CVE standards support
- Enterprise search module
- Standalone or daemon mode
- Free-use open SATAN oriented license
- Updated twice a month (we try)
- User extension support
- Based on the SATAN model
The first generation assistant, the Security Administrator’s Tool for Analyzing Networks (SATAN) was developed in early 1995. It became the benchmark for network security analysis for several years. However, few updates were provided and the tool slowly became obsolete in the growing threat environment.
You can download SARA here:
Or read more here.
- PayPal Remote Code Execution Vulnerability Patched
- Fortinet SSH Backdoor Found In Firewalls
- Facebook Disabled Flash For Video Finally
- OSWA Assistant – Wireless Hacking & Auditing LiveCD Toolkit
- MoocherHunter – Detect & Track Rogue Wifi Users
- eEye Binary Diffing Suite (EBDS)
Most Read in Exploits/Vulnerabilities:
- Learn to use Metasploit – Tutorials, Docs & Videos - 233,109 views
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,814 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,360 views