We reported on this case back in September 2007, the largest US data breach in history so far (45 million customer records!).
It seems like finally the people behind it have been busted, 11 people have been charged by US authorities.
The US authorities have charged 11 people in connection with the theft of credit-card details in the country’s largest-ever identity theft case.
They are accused of stealing more than 40 million credit and debit card numbers before selling the information.
They allegedly hacked into the computer systems of several major US retailers and installed software to access account details and passwords. Prosecutors said the alleged fraud was an “international conspiracy”.
It seems like a pretty well organised operation, internationally collaborated across multiple continents to hit multiple chains.
I’d guess they made quite some money out of it…but well now then are going to pay the price.
Three of those charged are US citizens. The others come from Estonia, Ukraine, Belarus and China.
The 11 suspects are alleged to have obtained card numbers, account information and password details by driving around neighbourhoods and hacking into wireless equipment.
They are said to have then concealed the information in computer servers both in the US and Europe.
The Department of Justice said the scam caused “widespread” losses among banks, retailers and ordinary consumers – although it did not put a precise figure on the financial damage.
It seems like the usual suspects when it comes to hacking though, eastern european countries and China of course!
They seem to have covered their tracks pretty well so I wonder how they got caught. It’ll be an interesting case to follow and see what kind of sentences they get.
And of course if there’s any extradition involved.
Source: BBC News (Thanks Navin)
- Teen Accused Of Hacking School To Change Grades
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Arrest Heartbleed Hacker
- Security Vendor Trustwave Named In Target Suit
- TJX (T.J. Maxx and Marshall’s) Hacker Jailed For 30 Years
- TJX Hacker Albert “Segvec” Gonzalez Indicted By Federal Grand Jury
- Massive Security Breach Leaks Credit Card Info
Most Read in Legal Issues:
- Class President Hacks School Grades - 80,533 views
- Hospital Hacker GhostExodus Owns Himself – Arrested - 47,434 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,458 views