Nessconnect is an open-source software package that can connect to a Nessus or Nessus compatible server and provides an advanced graphical user interface. It also provides a command line interface, and an application programming interface in Java. Users can create custom scan profiles, generate extensive reports, and perform differential scans and analysis. Nessconnect was previously known as Nessj and Reason.
Nessconnect provides an alternative interface over the standard Nessus client. It allows the user to customize the scanning preferences and available plug-ins based on a wide range of criteria. In addition to an improved graphical user interface, Nessconnect provides customized session management with templates, allowing the user to create multiple templates for different testing scenarios.
Reports are generated in XML, and XSLT style sheets can be used to easily produce customized reports, including charts/graphs. Nessconnect also supports vulnerability trending, allowing you track hosts vulnerabilities across multiple scans over a certain period. And if you prefer not to use a GUI, all these features are available via the command line.
The old Nessus interface was pretty bad, especially the Windows one, the Linux GUI was so much better and the HTML reports generated were so much better. If you like this, you can use it on both because it’s in Java it’s cross-platform.
I’m glad someone finally put some effort into an updated GUI even though Nessus is not quite so ‘free’ now.
- Promoted project from beta to stable.
- Graphical user interface layout changes.
- Changed command line interface arguments.
- Added the beginnings of some documentation.
- Fixed sorting of addresses and ports; thanks to Richard van den Berg.
- Fixed shell scripts to better handle XULRunner embedding.
- Fixed UNC path handling issue in URLs.
- Increased default heap size to 1 GB.
- Name change from Nessj to Nessconnect.
- Ownership change from Intekras to Idealogica.
- Updated libraries.
It is of course also free and open-source.
You can download Nessconnect here:
Or read more here.