22 January 2008 | 89,441 views

BackTrack Live Hacking CD BETA 3 Released

Check Your Web Security with Acunetix

The guys at BackTrack e-mailed me to let me know their Version 3 BETA has been released recently, and perhaps our readers would like to know about it.

For those that don’t know BackTrack evolved from the merging of two wide spread security related distributions – Whax and Auditor Security Collection. By joining forces and replacing these distributions, BackTrack has gained massive popularity and was voted in 2006 as the #1 Security Live Distribution by insecure.org. Security professionals as well as new comers are using BackTrack as their favorite toolset all over the globe.

BackTrack has a long history and was based on many different linux distributions until it is now based on a Slackware linux distribution and the corresponding live-CD scripts. Every package, kernel configuration and script is optimized to be used by security penetration testers. Patches and automation have been added, applied or developed to provide a neat and ready-to-go environment.

Because Metasploit is one of the key tools for most analysts it is tightly integrated into BackTrack and both projects collaborate together to always provide an on-the-edge implementation of Metasploit within the BackTrack CD-Rom images or the upcoming remote-exploit.org distributed and maintained virtualization images (like VMWare images appliances).

Currently BackTrack consists of more than 300 different up-to-date tools which are logically structured according to the work flow of security professionals. This structure allows even newcomers to find the related tools to a certain task to be accomplished. New technologies and testing techniques are merged into BackTrack as soon as possible to keep it up-to-date.

It’s definitely a favourite amongst pen-testers, myself included.

You can donwload BackTrack BETA 3 here (Please try and use the torrent links and seed!):

BackTrack 3 Beta – 14-12-2007

Or read more here.

Recent in Hacking Tools:
- EyeWitness – A Rapid Web Application Triage Tool
- wig – WebApp Information Gatherer – Identify CMS
- Capstone – Multi-platform, Multi-architecture Disassembly Framework

- BackTrack 4 Pre Release Available For Download
- BackTrack Final 3 Hacking LiveCD Released For Download
- BackTrack v2.0 – Hackers LiveCD Finally Released

Most Read in Hacking Tools:
- Top 15 Security/Hacking Tools & Utilities - 1,844,832 views
- Brutus Password Cracker – Download brutus-aet2.zip AET2 - 1,030,267 views
- wwwhack 1.9 – Download wwwhack19.zip Web Hacking Tool - 613,262 views

Advertise on Darknet

17 Responses to “BackTrack Live Hacking CD BETA 3 Released”

1. mumble 22 January 2008 at 9:45 am Permalink

BackTrack 3 is also the first security distro to add support for the Eeepc by ASUS. That combination is very nice, as you have access to effectively all the power of BackTrack on a laptop that weighs about 2 pounds (1kg).

2. goodpeople 22 January 2008 at 11:14 am Permalink

YEE-HAW!

Download in progress..

3. James 22 January 2008 at 9:02 pm Permalink

download the USB version, runs smoother than the CD version. Well its has for me anyway.

4. mumble 23 January 2008 at 9:18 am Permalink

I took a lab box and installed it directly on the HDD. So far, it looks pretty clean. On my Eeepc, I’ve had trouble with the wireless driver cutting in and out, but there’s a patch for the problem, and it should be fixed before release.

5. d347hm4n 24 January 2008 at 5:27 pm Permalink

Bit late for this, have already had a play around with it, great work, thanks to muts and max over at the BT|3 Cr3w

6. Dornez 1 February 2008 at 10:36 pm Permalink

Have there been any major changes other than increased hardware compatibility?

7. d347hm4n 2 February 2008 at 4:09 pm Permalink

I took this straight from their site.

A few updates about the upcoming release:

* We will be releasing a ~ 1 GB USB / DVD image, as well as a stripped down 700 MB iso.
    * Dual core issues have been fixed (mostly due to the new kernel – 2.6.15.5).
    * Wireless card compatibility has maximised, and injection patches applied wherever possible.
    * Xorg configuration scripts have been improved.
    * Updated exploit repositories, updated metasploit exploit framework and dependencies.
    * PXE network boot feature finally added (USB Version)
    * PwnSauce Instant John the Ripper Cluster feature finally added (USB version)
    * Compiz with ATI/Intel Drivers (USB version) get the Nvidia drivers here
    * Get BT3 Kernel Sources
    * More updates coming soon

8. eM3rC 7 February 2008 at 5:47 am Permalink

Backtrack and Metasploit are the two best hacking distros out there (in my opinion).

Downloading now!

9. Fast|Track 23 March 2008 at 12:23 pm Permalink

None of you appear to have picked up on some facts about BT3 so I

10. Pantagruel 23 March 2008 at 6:20 pm Permalink

@Fast|Track

Thanks for the info, but I guess the majority of us will use BT (be it 2 or 3beta) as a live distro (read above USB/CD/DVD/whatever bootable medium) and hopefully will not use BT as a real life OS (I for one would not and consequently use the live CD.
    I know this doesn’t resolve the insecure kernel, but will reduce the risk (have yet to come across another actively trying to get into my box while I am scanning through the network with BT)

11. fever 8 April 2008 at 7:34 pm Permalink

got it, love it, would recommend it to everyone.

12. macdaddy 8 May 2008 at 7:52 pm Permalink

am downloading, but after looking into the other comments, doesnt look like such a good idea anymore …

13. Andy 8 May 2008 at 8:37 pm Permalink

Hi guys,

wonder if anyone can help me. iv got the iso @ 701mb.Im using vista on my laptop and i really want to be able to use this software. Do i need any external software such as VMware or can i just burn to CD and it will run. i dont really wanna have to have a dual boot set up. Im new to this software but heard raving reviews.

Please help guys. Or email me at Kenealy_inc_@hotmail.com

cheers

Andy

14. Kevins 16 May 2008 at 5:44 pm Permalink

Use VMWare / Microsoft Virtual PC to install / run Backtrack.. While even if you run directly on to you PC while booting from the CD -ROM it won’t get installed as it is a Live-CD…

for installing it on your hard drive or Virtual Machine.. use the link below.. or try googling up…

15. plushNbl0@t3d 24 May 2008 at 7:01 am Permalink

I’m fairly new to pentest. I’ve played a little with BT2, BT3 iso, and BT3 usb. If you plan on using as a live disk and not installing, I recommend USB. For logical reasons the live usb distro runs faster, because your not getting info from an optical drive. BT2 doesn’t come stock with usb drivers for my hardware, both BT3 iso and usb do. bt2 doesn’t come stock with drivers for the wireless card in my laptop, bt3 does. For someone new to linux i recommend bt2, because it will force you to learn how to configure/install many things that normal windows users have automated for them. bt2 was my first real intro to linux. having learned how to get my wirless card up i am now hooked. I love a good challenge

16. robo 15 July 2008 at 11:05 pm Permalink

he guys.. new to linux..ish..
    was wondering.. ( sorry to ask lame Q’s) but
    has BT got ALL the software i need to test to see if i can access secure wifi connections ?
    and is there a how to, for the software incorporated in BT3 ?
    thanks guys :)

17. d347hm4n 2 February 2009 at 5:28 pm Permalink

@robo, for fear of helping a n00b, go here:http://forums.remote-exploit.org/

Don’t ask a single question until you have really read all of the threads. They have all of the information that you seek. And remember, you can only gain access to networks with the EXPLICIT permission of the owner.

Peace and Love,