This is a pretty neat tool for those using Squid Cache and looking for a pro-active tool for securing web acccess in their company (or house if you have a devious sibling).
The goal of Whitetrash is to provide a user-friendly and sysadmin-friendly proxy that makes it significantly harder for malware to use HTTP and SSL for:
- initial compromise;
- data exfiltration; and
- command and control.
- Provides whitelisting for HTTP and SSL that is good for both users and sysadmins, but defends against malware and browser exploits.
- A HTML rendered whitelist report that can be viewed by all users. Can also be used to generate static whitelists for popular domains.
- Fast: no noticeable impact on users browsing urls already in the whitelist, and adding a new URL is very quick.
- Secure: As this is a security product, great care has been taken to sanitise input, flow control etc. so that the whitelist cannot be easily circumvented or exploited.
- Users can delete their own whitelist entries (optional). Admins can delete any whitelist entry. A HTML report that lists all domains requested but not whitelisted – good for tracking down malware/adware and generating static blacklists.
- Configurable authentication: any sort of authentication can be used. Squid provides plugins for NTLM, basic, and digest but has an extensible interface for other authentication schemes.
- NEW: A CAPTCHA system has been implemented to prevent malware adding itself to the whitelist. CAPTCHA can be enabled for HTTP, SSL, or both. This is available in the source tree and will be included in the next release.
Whitetrash whitelists web traffic at the domain level, and is a powerful technique to eliminate (or at least make difficult) communications for a lot of malware.
You can download Whitetrash here:
Or read more here.
- Sandboxie – Sandbox Your Browser / Software / Programs In Windows
- AxCrypt – Open Source Windows File Encryption Software
- Smooth-Sec – IDS/IPS (Intrusion Detection/Prevention System) In A Box
- gotroot modsecurity Rules for Apache – Anti-spam and Security
- ADTool – Active Directory Domain Listing Tool
- The Black & White Ball UK – Whitehat vs Blackhat
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 118,944 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 116,821 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,520 views