This story reads like something from one of those glamourised Hollywood ‘hacker’ movies like Swordfish or Antitrust.
The legendary MPAA hacker has been revealed, and it looks like he himself got social engineered and dumped…he should have realised when you are playing with unscrupulous people you are setting yourself up to get screwed.
Promises of Hollywood fame and fortune persuaded a young hacker to betray former associates in the BitTorrent scene to Tinseltown’s anti-piracy lobby, according to the hacker.
In an exclusive interview with Wired News, gun-for-hire hacker Robert Anderson tells for the first time how the Motion Picture Association of America promised him money and power if he provided confidential information on TorrentSpy, a popular BitTorrent search site.
According to Anderson, the MPAA told him: “We would need somebody like you. We would give you a nice paying job, a house, a car, anything you needed…. if you save Hollywood for us you can become rich and powerful.”
Promised him everything he’d dreamed of eh? Then in the end…fascinating read anyway.
But once Anderson turned over the data and cashed the MPAA’s check, he quickly realized that Garfield had no further use for him. “He lost interest in me,” he says. Anderson felt abandoned: During negotiations with Garfield, the hacker had become convinced he was starting a long-term, lucrative relationship with the motion picture industry. “He was stringing me along personally.”
Hollywood’s cold shoulder put Anderson’s allegiance back up for grabs, and about a year later he came clean with TorrentSpy’s Bunnell in an online chat. “‘I sold you out to the MPAA,'” Anderson says he told Bunnell. “I felt guilty (for) what happened and I kinda also thought at that point the MPAA wasn’t going to do anything.”
Some pretty tricky business..so if you are a hacker for hire, you’d better be careful who you are dealing with.
- Hacking Team Hacked – What You Need To Know
- IRS Was Not Hacked – Taxpayer Data Stolen For 100,000 People
- Microsoft China Offices Raided By Government
- The MPAA TorrentSpy Hacker – $15,000!
- UK Wants Backdoor in Next Version of Microsoft Windows
- Botmaster Robert Matthew Bentley AKA LSDigital Sentenced
Most Read in Legal Issues:
- Class President Hacks School Grades - 80,609 views
- Hospital Hacker GhostExodus Owns Himself – Arrested - 47,510 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,529 views