28 November 2007 | 21,202 views

Chaosreader – Trace TCP/UDP Sessions from tcpdump

Check Your Web Security with Acunetix

A freeware tool to trace TCP/UDP sessions and fetch application data from snoop or tcpdump logs. This is a type of “any-snarf” program, as it will fetch telnet sessions, FTP files, HTTP transfers (HTML, GIF, JPEG), SMTP emails and so on from the captured data inside network traffic logs.

Similar to tcpflow which we mentioned recently.

A html index file is created that links to all the session details, including realtime replay programs for telnet, rlogin, IRC, X11 and VNC sessions; and reports such as image reports and HTTP GET/POST content reports. Chaosreader can also run in standalone mode – where it invokes tcpdump or snoop (if they are available) to create the log files and then processes them.

The cool thing about Chaosreader is that it outputs a nicely formatted HTML file to enable you to look at the extracted sessions a lot easier.

In this example, a snoop file was created while a website was loaded, telnet was used to login and ftp to transfer files. Chaosreader has managed to extract the HTTP sections, follow the telnet session, grab the FTP files, and create an Image Report from the snoop log. It has also created a replay program to playback the telnet session. You can see the example here.

You can find some more screenshots here.

You can download Chaosreader here:

Chaosreader 0.94

You can read more here.

Recent in Forensics:
- HoneyDrive 3 Released – The Premier Honeypot Bundle Distro
- Sysdig – Linux System Troubleshooting Tool
- HoneyDrive Desktop v0.2 Released – Honeypot LiveCD

- Sysdig – Linux System Troubleshooting Tool
- Windows Credentials Editor v1.0 – List, Add & Edit Logon Sessions
- Pass-The-Hash Toolkit v1.1 Available for Download

Most Read in Forensics:
- NetworkMiner – Passive Sniffer & Packet Analysis Tool for Windows - 65,701 views
- raw2vmdk – Mount Raw Hard Disk (dd) Images As VMDK Virtual Disks - 29,944 views
- sslsniff v0.6 Released – SSL MITM Tool - 26,915 views

Advertise on Darknet

9 Responses to “Chaosreader – Trace TCP/UDP Sessions from tcpdump”

1. dirty 28 November 2007 at 8:43 am Permalink

Cool…I like how you can easily view the webpages and images that victim, i mean end-user, has seen. I wonder what interesting pics you can capture with this. How do the replay files work? Im either up way to late(NYC) or you (darknet) are up way too early.

Dont think i will have any free time to mess with this tomorrow but Ill check back for other’s comments.

2. Reticent 28 November 2007 at 11:44 pm Permalink

Awesome, looks like something worth checking out. I’ve just recently been playing with urlsnarf which is part of the hping suite of tools. It’s good but doesn’t sound as fully featured as this one.

I’m interested to know how big those html files blow out on a busy network – I can imagine you’d end up with a pretty chunky html file even with 30mins browsing a semi image intensive site, ebay for example.

3. Darknet 29 November 2007 at 6:26 am Permalink

dirty: I live in Asia actually (GMT+8) so I normally post in the afternoon here so it’s up early morning stateside.

4. Goodpeople 30 November 2007 at 11:42 am Permalink

This is fun. My students wille be going nuts if I show them this.. :-)

5. File sniffer 30 November 2007 at 11:52 am Permalink

If you want to have a Windows application that can extract and store files sent with HTTP, SMB or TFTP then I would suggest using NetworkMiner. The application NetworkMiner is free and available as open source at SourceForge.

See:

6. Sir Henry 14 December 2007 at 5:58 pm Permalink

This is something that I should run on any of the “open” networks in my area to see just what skeletons are in the closets of those around whom I am located. This, too, is something I will have to add to my list of toys with which to play.

7. Sigu 5 March 2008 at 11:54 am Permalink

Another tool similar to Chaosreader is xplico ( http://www.xplico.org )

8. Pantagruel 5 March 2008 at 12:14 pm Permalink

You could try curl but like chaosreader it requires a UNIX shell and Perl interpreter. Not all users/admins have shell access to a UNIX system, or are unable to install a Perl interpreter on their desktop.
    If so you could use the Firefox live headers plug-in to debug web-based app’s.

Find it at:

Xplico is part of the DEFT ((acronym of “Digital Evidence & Forensic Toolkit)) distribution (http://deft.yourside.it/).

@Darknet one to add to the list of toolkit distro’s