If you remember a while back we mentioned PDF & Image Attachment Spam – The New Problem with E-mail, now we have another ‘innovation’ in spamming..
It seems they are using it for the same old pump and dump tactics (Microcap stock fraud) to artificially inflate stock prices then sell out fast.
Spammers are back with a new trick, this time round sending messages with MP3 attachments that contain the latest pump-and-dump stock scams.
One sample identified this morning by GFI, was a heavily distorted 30-second MP3 file. A synthetic female voice was used to promote a particular stock. This voice is distorted to avoid filtering approaches based on the file signature.
Once again, spammers are taking advantage of the fact that the MP3 format is one of the most common in use today, another attempt at social engineering.
I wonder what they are going to come out with next, really?
The spam is a short, 30-second MP3 file recorded at low bit-rate with a synthetic female voice promoting a particular stock; the voice heavily distorted to avoid signature-based anti-spam approaches (click here [MP3] to listen to an edited sample of MP3 spam).
“MP3 spam is a natural progression from PDF and Excel spam whereby spammers are exploiting a new file format to be able to send spam. This is their latest attempt to evade anti-spam filters. There is also a social engineering aspect to this tactic because people frequently share MP3 files,” David Vella, Director of Product Management, said.
Another thing to look out for anyway, perhaps start filtering mp3 attachments on the mail gateway, then they’ll start putting them in passworded zip files I guess..
- Double For Your Money With Acunetix Vulnerability Scanner
- Acunetix Clamps Down On Costly Website Security With Online Solution
- Acunetix OVS Review (Online Vulnerability Scanner)
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance
- PDF & Image Attachment Spam – The New Problem with E-mail
- Spam on the Increase – Image Spam Accounting for More
Most Read in Advertorial:
- eLearnSecurity – Online Penetration Testing Training - 40,694 views
- Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner 6 Review - 15,138 views
- Acunetix WVS (Web Vulnerability Scanner) 7 Review – Engine & Scanning Improvements - 14,957 views