CORE GRASP for PHP is a web-application protection software aimed at detecting and blocking injection vulnerabilities and privacy violations.
As mentioned during its presentation at Black Hat USA 2007, GRASP is being released as open source under the Apache 2.0 license.
The present implementation protects PHP 5.2.3 against SQL-injection attacks for the MySQL engine, it can be installed with almost the same effort as the PHP engine, both in Unix and Windows systems, and protection is immediate with any PHP web application running in the protected server.
CORE GRASP works by enhancing the PHP execution engine (VM) to permit byte-level taint tracking and analysis for all the user-controlled or otherwise untrustable variables of the web application. Tainted bytes are then tracked and their taint marks propagated throughout the web application’s runtime.
Whenever the web application tries to interact with an DB backend using SQL statements that contain tainted bytes, GRASP analyzes the statment and detects and prevents attacks or abnormal
CORE GRASP was developed by CoreLabs, the research unit of Core Security Technologies. At CoreLabs, we plan to improve the tool and include new protections shortly. However, the invitation to collaborate with the project is open. If you would like to collaborate, please go to the GRASP website and subscribe to the mailing list.
The documentation for CORE GRASP is available here and you can download it here:
Or you can read more here.
- Just-Metadata – Gathers & Analyse IP Address Metadata
- Agile Security – How Does It Fit Into A World Of Continuous Delivery
- Shadow Daemon – Web Application Firewall
- gotroot modsecurity Rules for Apache – Anti-spam and Security
- w3af v1.1 Released For Download – Web Application Attack & Audit Framework
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,588 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,349 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,622 views