The details are still a bit shaky, but this news has been making the rounds.
One senior US official said the Pentagon had pinpointed the exact origins of the attack. Another person familiar with the event said there was a “very high level of confidence…trending towards total certainty” that the PLA was responsible. The defence ministry in Beijing declined to comment on Monday.
Angela Merkel, Germany’s chancellor, raised reports of Chinese infiltration of German government computers with Wen Jiabao, China’s premier, in a visit to Beijing, after which the Chinese foreign ministry said the government opposed and forbade “any criminal acts undermining computer systems, including hacking”.
Forbade eh? More likely to be encouraged. Cyber terrorism and cross border attacks for information gathering are not restricted to the realms of movies.
These things do happen, people do follow Sun Tzu and gather as much information as they can about their possible enemies.
The PLA regularly probes US military networks – and the Pentagon is widely assumed to scan Chinese networks – but US officials said the penetration in June raised concerns to a new level because of fears that China had shown it could disrupt systems at critical times.
“The PLA has demonstrated the ability to conduct attacks that disable our system…and the ability in a conflict situation to re-enter and disrupt on a very large scale,” said a former official, who said the PLA had penetrated?the?networks?of US defense companies and think-tanks.
Hackers from numerous locations in China spent several months probing the Pentagon system before overcoming its defenses, according to people familiar with the matter.
China has denied this obviously…but that leaves a lot to be desired still.
Source: Financial Times
- Kali Linux – The Most Advanced Penetration Testing Linux Distribution
- Microsoft Says You SHOULD Re-use Passwords Across Sites
- Dradis v2.9 – Information Sharing For Security Assessments
- France Complaining of China Hacks Too
- Pentagon E-mail System HACKED
- Happy Chinese New Year 2011
Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,143,139 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 588,212 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 417,547 views