The Firewall Tester (FTester) is a tool designed for testing firewalls filtering policies and Intrusion Detection System (IDS) capabilities.
The tool consists of two perl scripts, a packet injector (ftest) and the listening sniffer (ftestd). The first script injects custom packets, defined in ftest.conf, with a signature in the data part while the sniffer listens for such marked packets. The scripts both write a log file which is in the same form for both scripts. A diff of the two produced files (ftest.log and ftestd.log) shows the packets that were unable to reach the sniffer due to filtering rules if these two scripts are ran on hosts placed on two different sides of a firewall. Stateful inspection firewalls are handled with the ‘connection spoofing’ option. A script called freport is also available for automatically parse the log files.
Of course this is not an automated process, ftest.conf must be crafted for every different situation. Examples and rules are included in the attached configuration file.
The IDS (Intrusion Detection System) testing feature can be used either with ftest only or with the additional support of ftestd for handling stateful inspection IDS, ftest can also use common IDS evasion techniques. Instead of using the configuration syntax currently the script can also process snort rule definition file.
- Firewall testing
- IDS testing
- Simulation of real TCP connections for stateful inspection firewalls and IDS
- Connection spoofing
- IP fragmentation / TCP segmentation
- IDS evasion techniques
The following PERL modules are required: Net::RawIP, Net::PcapUtils, NetPacket
You can download FTester here:
Or you can read more here.
- OpenVAS 7 Released – Open Source Vulnerability Scanner
- BlueScan – A Bluetooth Device Scanner
- BlueMaho Project – Bluetooth Security Testing Suite
- Dr. Morena – Firewall Configuration Testing Tool
- MagicTree – Penetration Tester Productivity Tool
- FWAuto v1.1 – Firewall Auditing & Ruleset Analyzer Tool
Most Read in Hacking Tools:
- Top 15 Security/Hacking Tools & Utilities - 1,884,666 views
- Brutus Password Cracker – Download brutus-aet2.zip AET2 - 1,087,274 views
- wwwhack 1.9 – Download wwwhack19.zip Web Hacking Tool - 632,067 views