Handy Recovery is pretty neat software, there is occasions when I’m using Windows and I need to recover something or I’ve deleted something by mistake (I have a habit of using SHIFT+DEL so it’s not even in the recycle bin.
I usually use Active Undelete and was pretty happy with it, I got a chance to try out this software though and looked pretty cool.
I have to say I do prefer Handy Recovery to Active Undelete, it’s faster, small (Only 876kb including installer) and the best part is it gives an actual probability of data recovery for each file.
Plus it has a pretty neat filter/search system for finding specific files if you don’t know their location. The program supports FAT 12/16/32, NTFS and NTFS 5 + EFS file systems. This tool can recover files from deleted and formatted partitions or create disk images for deferred recovery. It shows probability of successful recovery for each file and features in-depth disk scanning for certain file types. According to Microsoft, Handy Recovery turned out to be among the first 100 applications that have earned the “Certified for Windows Vista” logo.
The Interface is nice and simple and it runs through the analysis stage pretty quickly, it’s very easy to recover files (recommended to recover to a different partition to reduce chances of permanent data loss) and just takes a couple of clicks.
The trial version is limited to recover 1 file per day and can be download here:
There is also a freeware ‘lite’ version here:
Handy Recovery Lite
File systems: FAT12/16/32 or NTFS/NTFS 5.
You can purchase Handy Recovery here:
It’s pretty reasonably priced at $39US for 1-4 copies with discounts if you buy 5 or more.
- HoneyDrive Desktop v0.2 Released – Honeypot LiveCD
- Mobius Forensic Toolkit 0.5.10 – Forensics Framework To Manage Cases & Case Items
- Rec Studio 4 – Reverse Engineering Compiler & Decompiler
- Data Recovery – A Decent Article
- MySQLPasswordAuditor – Free MySQL Audit/Password Recovery & Cracking Tool
- Cain & Abel v4.9.35 – Password Sniffer, Cracker and Brute-Forcing Tool
Most Read in Forensics:
- NetworkMiner – Passive Sniffer & Packet Analysis Tool for Windows - 65,626 views
- raw2vmdk – Mount Raw Hard Disk (dd) Images As VMDK Virtual Disks - 29,451 views
- sslsniff v0.6 Released – SSL MITM Tool - 26,880 views