MTR was written by Matt Kimball, with contributions by many people. Take a look at the “AUTHORS” file in the distribution. Roger Wolff took over maintenance of MTR in october 1998.
MTR combines the functionality of the ‘traceroute’ and ‘ping’ programs in a single network diagnostic tool.
As MTR starts, it investigates the network connection between the host MTR runs on and a user-specified destination host. After it determines the address of each network hop between the machines, it sends a sequence ICMP ECHO requests to each one to determine the quality of the link to each machine. As it does this, it prints running statistics about each machine.
You can get MTR from the BitWizard FTP site at ftp://ftp.bitwizard.nl/mtr/.
You can find more info and binary packages at the MTR Site.
- PentesterLab.com – Excercises To Learn Penetration Testing
- New eLearnSecurity Course – WAPT – Web Application Penetration Testing
- Hackers Break Into White House Military Network
- LFT – Layer Four Traceroute and WhoB
- Sam Spade – Network Investigation Tool for Windows
- nwmap v0.1 Released – Map Network From PCAP File
Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,129,202 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 572,787 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 409,545 views