Ah the logic bomb, a source of humour for many due to it’s frequent showing up in ‘hacking’ movies, and it’s complete mis-use.
ZOMG THE LOGIC BOMB IT’S GONNA PWN US ALL!
A former UBS PaineWebber employee was sentenced to eight years in prison on Wednesday for planting a computer “logic bomb” on company networks and betting its stock would go down.
The investment scheme backfired when UBS stock remained stable after the computer attack and Roger Duronio lost more than $23,000.
8 years, pretty harsh eh?
You better be careful if you are planning on pwning your ex-company with some lame script.
Duronio quit his job as a systems administrator in February 2002 after repeatedly expressing dissatisfaction about his salary and bonuses, the statement said.
He then planted malicious computer code known as a “logic bomb” in about 1,000 of PaineWebber’s approximately 1,500 networked computers in branch offices. On March 4, 2002, the “bomb” detonated and began deleting files.
Duronio attempted to profit from the attack, the statement said. He bought more than $23,000 in put option contracts for UBS AG stock, betting the stock’s price would go down after his “logic bomb” went off.
His big mistake was the attempt at insider trading based on his attack on the company, seems like he screwed up loyally.
Losing $23,000 and spending 8 years in a cosy cell with Bubba, nice one!
Source: Reuters UK
- Navy Sys Admin Hacks Into Databases From Aircraft Carrier
- Teen Accused Of Hacking School To Change Grades
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Arrest Heartbleed Hacker
- Fake Microsoft Patch – BeastPWS-C
- Dshocker AKA Aush0k Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer Felonies
- theHarvester – Gather E-mail Accounts, Subdomains, Hosts, Employee Names – Information Gathering Tool
Most Read in Legal Issues:
- Class President Hacks School Grades - 80,589 views
- Hospital Hacker GhostExodus Owns Himself – Arrested - 47,493 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,499 views