Ah, so finally they got it back, from a street corner of all places.
Let’s hope they shall be a little more careful in the future yah?
The missing laptop and hard drive that contained veterans’ personal information has been found, Veterans Administration Chief Jim Nicholson announced Thursday.
The announcement came at the beginning of a hearing before the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee hearing.
“It was confirmed to me by the deputy attorney general that law enforcement has in their possession the … laptop and hard drive,” Nicholson said in a statement at the hearing. “The serial numbers match.”
Of course the FBI will roll out it’s forensics experts to testify the data has not been accessed, but let’s face it, how hard is it to mount the drive read only and clone it?
Not very right..
Experts were conducting forensic tests on the laptop and hard drive, Nicholson said. It was not immediately clear if the data on the equipment had been copied or compromised, but Nicholson said “there is reason to be optimistic.”
He did not say how the equipment was recovered, on where it’s been during the past two months. The equipment was found Wednesday; Nicholson said he wasn’t aware of any arrests made in connection with the incident.
An FBI spokesman said the laptop computer was recovered “in the area,” but could not provide more specific information. Forensics tests showed “the sensitive files were not accessed,” according to special agent in charge Bill Chase.
We’ll look at the forensics techniques in more depth later.
- Google’s Chrome Apps – Are They Worth The Risk?
- Twitter Breach Leaks 250,000 User E-mails & Passwords
- More Cyberterrorism – Taiwan Political Party Accuses China of Hacking
- A Forensic Analysis of the Lost Veteran’s Administration Laptop
- US Veterans Information Leaked on The Web
- laptop and data theft protection
Most Read in General News:
- Hacking Still Can’t Outdo Stupidity for Data Leaks - 125,176 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,201 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,476 views