HoneyBOT is a Windows based medium interaction honeypot solution.
What is a Honeypot?
A honeypot is a device placed on a computer network specifically designed to capture malicious network traffic. The logging capability of a honeypot is far greater than any other network security tool and captures raw packet level data even including the keystrokes and mistakes made by hackers. The captured information is highly valuable as it contains only malicious traffic with little to no false positives.
Honeypots are becoming one of the leading security tools used to monitor the latest tricks and exploits of hackers by recording their every move so that the security community can more quickly respond to new exploits.
How it Works
HoneyBOT works by opening over 1000 udp and tcp listening sockets on your computer and these sockets are designed to mimic vulnerable services. When an attacker connects to these services they are fooled into thinking they are attacking a real server. The honeypot safely captures all communications with the attacker and logs these results for future analysis. Should an attacker attempt an exploit or upload a rootkit or trojan to the server the honeypot environment will safely store these files on your computer for analysis and submission to antivirus vendors. Our test server has captured several thousand trojans and rootkits from these simulated services including:
- DCOM (msblast, etc)
We suggest that you install HoneyBOT on a dedicated computer with no valuable information or resources required of it. In fact, you want your honeypot to be as free as possible from any legitimate traffic so in broad terms we can consider any traffic to the honeypot to be malicious in nature.
HoneyBOT requires minimum operating system of Windows 2000 and at least 128MB RAM is recommended.
You can read more here:
- Facebook Launches ThreatExchange – Security Clearinghouse API
- Acunetix OVS Review (Online Vulnerability Scanner)
- isowall – Completely Isolate A Device From The Local Network
- HoneyDrive Desktop v0.2 Released – Honeypot LiveCD
- HoneyDrive 3 Released – The Premier Honeypot Bundle Distro
- HoneyDrive – Honeypots In A Box
Most Read in Countermeasures:
- AJAX: Is your application secure enough? - 119,410 views
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension - 117,197 views
- NDR or Backscatter Spam – How Non Delivery Reports Become a Nuisance - 57,589 views