Ah the big boys can’t get in legitimately, so they are starting to use underhand tactics eh?
A lawsuit filed Wednesday accuses the Motion Picture Association of America of hiring a hacker to steal information from a company that the MPAA has accused of helping copyright violators.
The lawsuit (click for PDF), filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California by Torrentspy.com parent Valence Media, doesn’t identify the man the company says was approached by an MPAA executive. But the suit calls the man a former associate of one of the plaintiffs and alleges that he was asked to retrieve private information on Torrentspy.com, a search engine that directs people to download links.
Torrentspy’s complaint includes claims that the man whom the MPAA allegedly paid $15,000 to steal e-mail correspondence and trade secrets has admitted his role in the plot and is cooperating with the company.
Torrentspy is taking this really seriously.
Torrentspy alleges in the suit that the man, whom the company refers to as the “informant,” has provided documents that prove the nature of his relationship with the MPAA, including a written agreement signed by the hacker and an MPAA executive, Rothken said.
“We have very significant proof of wrongdoing and the MPAA’s involvement,” Rothken said. “We think it’s ironic for the MPAA to claim that they are protecting the rights of the movie studios and then go out and pirate other people’s property.”
Rothken said that the MPAA also paid the hacker to “gather nonpublic information” about other Torrentspy-related sites. Rothken declined to specify which sites.
Seems like the hacker has had a change of heart too, hopefully Torrentspy kick their monkey asses.
- Hacking Team Hacked – What You Need To Know
- IRS Was Not Hacked – Taxpayer Data Stolen For 100,000 People
- Microsoft China Offices Raided By Government
- MPAA Hacker Robert Anderson Revealed
- 2007 Hacker Reverse Engineering Challenge
- reDuh – TCP Redirection over HTTP
Most Read in Legal Issues:
- Class President Hacks School Grades - 80,607 views
- Hospital Hacker GhostExodus Owns Himself – Arrested - 47,509 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,524 views