I’ve tried out a few of these visual recognition password technique things, and to tell you the truth they didn’t work for me, not at all.
I clicked the requisite 3-4 spots on the image, and remembered them, but when I tried to login it wouldn’t accept it.
A password that uses images instead of numbers could give some people access to secure information on personal electronic devices or at ATMs within the next year.
The image authentication system uses a pair of digital images instead of a string of numbers to make logging in simple for the legitimate user, but difficult for impersonators.
“It is expected that many of the conventional user authentication systems would be able to be replaced with our scheme, since recognition of images is significantly easier for human beings than precise recall of passwords,” said team leader Masakatsu Nishigaki, a professor of informatics at Shizuoka University in Japan, where the system is being developed.
Source: Discovery Channel
There is a simple implementation of it I saw called Passclicks over at mininova
Passclicks is a new way to login to websites without users having to remember thir old style textual password. Studies have revealed that humans are way better in remembering visual things than textual things. With passclicks your normal textual passwords are replaced with a sequence of clicks on an image.
It is true most people remember things a lot better visually.
I think the Japanese 4 ‘digit’ icon type password might be pretty good though, as a different form of pin number.
- PentesterLab.com – Excercises To Learn Penetration Testing
- New eLearnSecurity Course – WAPT – Web Application Penetration Testing
- Hackers Break Into White House Military Network
- Password Hasher Firefox Extension
- Malaysia Government Sites Under Attack From Anonymous
- Microsoft CAT.NET v184.108.40.206 – Binary Code Analysis Tool .NET
Most Read in General Hacking:
- 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) - 1,129,300 views
- Hack Tools/Exploits - 572,857 views
- Password Cracking with Rainbowcrack and Rainbow Tables - 409,576 views