Amazing, now ripping YOUR OWN CD’s to use on YOUR iPod is not fair use according to the new DMCA rulings currently being created.
As part of the on-going DMCA rule-making proceedings, the RIAA and other copyright industry associations submitted a filing that included this gem as part of their argument that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as noninfringing uses, even when you are talking about making copies of your own CDs:
“Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use.”
For those who may not remember, here’s what Don Verrilli said to the Supreme Court last year:
“The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it’s been on their website for some time now, that it’s perfectly lawful to take a CD that you’ve purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod.”
If I understand what the RIAA is saying, “perfectly lawful” means “lawful until we change our mind.” So your ability to continue to make copies of your own CDs on your own iPod is entirely a matter of their sufferance. What about all the indie label CDs? Do you have to ask each of them for permission before ripping your CDs? And what about all the major label artists who control their own copyrights? Do we all need to ask them, as well?
I wish they would just make their collective minds up, or lack of minds or whatever you want to call it.
Digital Restrictions Management indeed.
- Google’s Chrome Apps – Are They Worth The Risk?
- Twitter Breach Leaks 250,000 User E-mails & Passwords
- More Cyberterrorism – Taiwan Political Party Accuses China of Hacking
- RIAA Dirty Tricks: Gathering Private Info On Kids Of Accused File Sharer
- Win GFI T-shirts, Mugs and Keychains along with your iPod or PSP!
- PwnageTool 4.01 Released – Jailbreak For iPhone & iPod Firmware 4.0 (iOS4)
Most Read in General News:
- Hacking Still Can’t Outdo Stupidity for Data Leaks - 125,129 views
- eEye Launches 0-Day Exploit Tracker - 85,161 views
- One Of The World’s Most Prolific Music Piracy Groups Busted - 43,471 views