By using one of the many mobile phone location tracking services aimed at businesses or concerned parents, and some trickery it is possibly to get almost anyone’s mobile phone position without their agreement. All that is required is their mobile phone number, and carrier.
Over the past year a number sites have popped up offering web based mobile phone tracking services. To use their services you purchase a monthly subscription or set number of credits, and enter in the targets phone number. The target then receives an SMS message asking them to confirm they consent to the tracking. After the target replies, the tracker can then request their position online and receive a street address, post code, and map of their location with an accuracy of around 250 meters.
- Although it is possible to get the location of a phone the target will receive the various SMS confirmation messages, alerting them to the fact they are being tracked.
- Malicious use can be traced back to the tracker via credit card records / the trackers registered phone.
For the past week I’ve been tracking my girlfriend through her mobile phone. I can see exactly where she is, at any time of day or night, within 150 yards, as long as her phone is on. It has been very interesting to find out about her day. Now I’m going to tell you how I did it.
A service has launched in the UK which allows you to track any mobile phone around the globe and follow its movements from your own computer. The Guardian ran a feature on it yesterday called ‘How I stalked my girlfriend’. It painted a scary picture.
The service is run by World-Tracker, a company based on the Isle of Man. When a mobile number is entered onto the World-Tracker website, a text message is sent to that phone, to ask if the person carrying the phone wishes to be tracked.
- DNS DDoS Attack Takes Down China Internet
- Legal to Unlock Cell Phones Since November 2006
- THC Releases Nokia Phone ROM Images
- Sipflanker – Locate SIP (VoIP) Device Web Interfaces
- Kali Linux – The Most Advanced Penetration Testing Linux Distribution
- Fierce Domain Scanner Released – Domain Reconnaissance Tool
Most Read in Telecomms Hacking:
- Locate anyone in the UK via SMS - 34,635 views
- Legal to Unlock Cell Phones Since November 2006 - 14,428 views
- Caller ID Spoofing is Still Easy- FCC Investigates - 12,276 views